1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secret millionaire

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2799, May 3, 2011.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Is in Sheffield this week, and she's a proper pukka millionaire. This woman is loaded. Seriously rich.
    Anyhoo, She's just seen the house and she was moaning about it. I thought it looked clean, tidy and smart- it has double glazing and looks fairly recently decorated.

She should see some of the scuzzy homes kids have to live in.
    Sort of makes you realise how people end up with no understanding of the level of poverty some people live in.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Is in Sheffield this week, and she's a proper pukka millionaire. This woman is loaded. Seriously rich.
    Anyhoo, She's just seen the house and she was moaning about it. I thought it looked clean, tidy and smart- it has double glazing and looks fairly recently decorated.

She should see some of the scuzzy homes kids have to live in.
    Sort of makes you realise how people end up with no understanding of the level of poverty some people live in.

3. She'd never cooked before - She didn't know how to use a tin opener! :| I always thought it was fairly self explanatory to chop some veg, chuck it in a pan with some meat, heat it until it no longer looks raw and eat it - but apparently not!
    That said, she does seem genuinly nice and I actually feel sorry for her in a way for having been wrapped in cotton wool all her life and not being able to really experience it.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I can't believe she didn't know that chopping onions made you cry!

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

For some people having Millions is a trial in itself x

6. It was interesting- she really didn't have a clue how 'normal' people live. It made me chuckle at the start, the look of horror on her face when she thought she may have to drink tap water.

She did seem a nice person, but being born into such wealth- it must have been a bit of a culture shock.

7. When Prince Charles visited a high rise building in Glasgow, years ago, he spotted the rubbish chute. Someone explained what it was for. He said "Oh! And do men come and take the rubbish away?" Doh!

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I liked her. She was far better than the rich geezer who lived in a camper van, crashed it and then booked himself into a 5* hotel!
    I think the guy from St Wilfred Centre place already knew (or should I say had an inkling) she was on Secret Millionaire. I would have thought its quite obvious now people turning up with camera crew and only volunteering for a week...?

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I liked her too, and I agree that the chap from St Wilfs had an inkling.
    We were saying exactly the same thing as we watched it. People must know now.
    But they were doing good deeds with no recognition for years and years before the secret millionare came along, and whether they knew or not, those charities deserved everything they got.
    I could even forgive him for taking her to see the wrong team.

10. I must be a soppy git because I thought she was very likeable and warm as a person.

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I liked her. It just hit home how far removed some people are from reality. That wasn't her fault.

12. bizent

bizent Star commenter

As usual - I was sobbing like a baby!!

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The rich have no skills. A colleague went to live in Monaco and got herself a job at the International school. The previous scinece teacher never did practicals with the kids, she thought different.

Lesson one with lower Vi class! Start with something simple so she did a cooling curve for hot water with different types of insulation (normally a yr 7 prac at my school).

Not one student knew how to fill and switch on the kettle to get the hot water!

She took a yr 9 class to the local supermarket as a practical demonstration for nutrition. She said you would have thought it was Christmas! The kids were lost in wonder as none of them had ever shopped for food before! They were handling all the fruit and veg as they had never seen things like whole potatoes or pineapples before!