1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secret bullying

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by creveley91, Nov 17, 2017.

1. creveley91

creveley91 New commenter

I am currently working as a Drama teacher with some English overseas. We have just had auditions for our school production and my HoF is ‘producing’. Basically we have a girl who is amazingly talented but disliked by my HoF so my HoF is willing to sabotage the entire production to make sure this girl is not cast. She is even making up lies saying the headteacher has said that we have to use younger students and brought along another colleague in the department whom she is close to outside of school to the auditions to support her with not casting this particular girl.
    The music teacher agrees that this girl needs a main part because of her talent.
    Help!!!

Extra - the HoF has also used me to all her work and she takes credit and made me cover her lessons so she could attend a meeting which was actually sitting having a chat in the office with another colleague, she got caught and crapped herself - she went to SLT and told them it was a one off... I covered the same lesson again today. Also as an overseas school we use internal cover instead of supply teachers. I actually teach the heaviest timetable in school due to Drama and English and so the headteacher has said not to use me for cover, we have had anothe4 colleague out of school because her son is ill and I’ve not only been made to arrange the cover work but also to cover the lessons during my PPA because the other colleague, who she has secret meetings with and is close friends (see above), has ‘too much work to do’. This colleague has the lightest in the department apart from the HoF. You should also know I am the only expat teacher in the department. Also the HoF has previously said that ‘she would make my life a living hell’ if I did something against her. I can’t complain to SLT/headteacher because she will know it was me and I am fearful of what she will do and my safety.

Please help or advise. I don’t know what to do

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For the production, it is down to the person producing to decide on casting. Leave the HOF to it.

For the cover, speak to your line manager.
    Fearing for your safety is a complete overreaction.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Whatever the ins-and-outs of the matter.

Just go, walk out the door, don't turn around now.... Okay, I've over-done song lyrics but if you can't work under these conditions then hand in your notice. Easy to say but the only alternative is to crawl up the HoF and then discover you're still being dumped on.

You've got to know when to walk away,
    Know when to run.
    Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

pepper5, creveley91 and sparkleghirl like this.
  4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I think you need to take a step back. If your HoF is in charge of the production and doesn't want to cast this girl, let it go. Neither you nor the girl willbe permanently scarred. Have a quiet word with her if you want and tell her you think she'd have been your choice, but don't lose sleep over it.
    The fact that you see this as so important suggests you're getting things out of proportion.

As for the cover and whether there's anything you can do about that, it might depend on where in the world you are and what kind of employment law your school is subject to.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why is it that these workplace dilemmas always crop up on a Friday evening, from 'new' posters who have been members of the forum for four or five years?

Coincidence?

(Just asking...)

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Oh @nomad, does it matter that you could be dispensing your pearls of wisdom over a non-existent scenario?
    Personally I benefit from those pearls regardless of whether or not the OP is genuine. It's still a possible occurrence and one day, one of these fictions will seriously advise me. More importantly there are other readers who could well be benefiting from something very near to a current problem.

Don't take this as a serious rant. I do appreciate your thoughts generally. Please take this a minor whinge.

7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

So, your department is full of locals teaching GCSE, AS and A level English language and literature/IB diploma? People who do not speak English as a first language?

Start applying for new jobs now. There are plenty being advertised on TES and so on.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'Basically we have a girl who is amazingly talented but disliked by my HoF so my HoF is willing to sabotage the entire production to make sure this girl is not cast. '

A school is run for the benefit of all its students, not just one student. Even if you think this decision is unfair, maybe the HOF just disagrees with you on her talent. Or perhaps they have other motives like giving younger students a chance.

While of course not suggesting or accusing you of anything untoward, I would not 'overargue' a case for any one student in a school environment (unless its safeguarding etc.) To do otherwise puts you at risk of favouritism and worse.

Unfortunately they are your line manager(?) so she isn't being cast. End of!

'Extra - the HoF has also used me to all her work and she takes credit and made me cover her lessons so she could attend a meeting which was actually sitting having a chat in the office with another colleague, she got caught and crapped herself'

Maybe it was a more informal meeting!

Cover manager maybe here?

Not trying to be unsupportive to you here OP but we need to reflect the other side of the argument sometimes and play devils advocate. If you feel ostracised etc as others have said maybe you need to think about a different school, but be careful, the education environment of today has fields out there with more hostile flora than mere grass!

9. creveley91

creveley91 New commenter

She has no experience in drama or music. I was asked to direct the production and run one first but they need a producer to be in charge of the money. I don’t feel she can make a decision when it’s not her background.

She is my line manager and I didn’t say I feared for my safety I said she said she would make my life a living hell.

10. creveley91

creveley91 New commenter

Thanks, I’m in contract so it’s difficult at the moment.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. creveley91

creveley91 New commenter

The HoF isn’t in charge of the production... she is in charge of money we need. All the decision for acting, set, costume, staging etc are with me. I was asked to run the production and she stepped in to support the financial side of it. She also has no experience in drama or musicals and has never done a production before.
    We perform our productions at an actual theatre and as the drama teacher (the only one in school) my appraisal is dependant on it so yes, it is quite important.
    Fair point - we are a brutish international school and so follow the same guidelines.

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You said...

(my bold and underline).

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Clearly 'brutish', if what you say is correct.

14. creveley91

creveley91 New commenter

I agree and I haven’t said to cast this girl as the main part but she needs a role in the main cast because of her talent and the music teacher agrees. I also want younger students casting as well but my HoF just doesn’t want this girl at all even with younger students. Additionally, the principal of the school has said that the main part should only be Year 10 or above... why should she not be cast because she is disliked? Also my HoF has no experience of drama or music or productions.
    The meeting was with an outside person and this discussion was with a colleague who incidentally was supposed to also be teaching at the time.

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Must be.

Every Friday.

nomad likes this.
  16. creveley91

creveley91 New commenter

Because it happened on a Friday after school and I was in school until 11pm due to a school function. I haven’t used the forums before... I read them I don’t usually post and I’ve definitely never posted one before.

pepper5 likes this.
  17. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Sorry this is too hard for me. Either it's your decision or it isn't. If it's your decision, make it. If it's not, let someone else make it.

I wish you luck but think you're being a bit of a drama queen yourself here. Let it go.

nomad likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not for me. Occam's Razor. Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate.

19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

:eek: