1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondment

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by katieblood, May 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. katieblood

katieblood New commenter

I have to write a letter to request permission to apply for a secondment opportunity. I need to give my governors reasons that it is good for the school I want to leave behind for a year! I have suggested that we can grow leadership capacity and I will be able to bring back ideas at the end of the year. I can't think of anything else and I know this will be the issue for our Governors. Can anyone suggest any other benefits for the school that I am leaving?

Thank you

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Without knowing (a) you, (b) the school or - and this is most important - (c) the "opportunity", it's impossible to comment.

3. katieblood

katieblood New commenter

Thanks for your comment.

4. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

Financially the school will be better off, you will increase your skill set and so will those stepping up to cover your secondment. It can unsettle staff and parents however and there is always the concern that the secondment may lead to you never returning.

5. katieblood

katieblood New commenter

Thank you - I had totally forgotten the financial element - I have added that to the letter just before I was about to email it.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why will they be better off financially? Surely they will appoint someone to do your job?

Think what you are planning to do for the year. How will those experiences benefit the school?

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

During a two year full time secondment the LA allowed me to ' mentor ' my replacement one day a week in the initial year of my absence. She received a small pay rise to ' step up ' . I did not return to the school when my secondment finished.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, that puzzled me, too.

9. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

If one person acts up from within school whilst person is on secondment you are paying them additional to reflect added responsibility.The person on secondment will be paid by whoever they are seconded too-therefore a salary all but a n increase for person acting up is saved