1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondment advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jellylegs11, Jan 20, 2019.

1. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

How does secondment work? I've seen a job that's also offered as a secondment- only a years post- but really interesting. It's working with the new government mental health support teams as a project manager. Sounds really interesting. However as a year 6 teacher and AH I doubt I can go on secondment. It states a start of March 1st.
    How does it work in terms of money for school? Is there any kind of financial benefit that may sway her decision? The secondment pays a little less than I'm on now- not much.
    Also it's cross LEA, it would be working with a neighbouring educational authority. Husband thinks I should just apply even if not on secondment basis and give 3 months notice if successful. Either way it's not ideal being in y6 but don't want to miss an opportunity.

2. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

If you ask your HT, make it clear that you are seriously considering this and may hand in your notice if not given permission.

Is your financial situation secure? I would not recommend leaving a permanent position for a temporary one, especially in these uncertain times.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

In my experience, a secondment is like a complete break away from your current post for a set amount of time. You would be paid on a scale determined by the secondment post which might not necessarily match your current post. This might mean a pause in teachers pay and conditions, pension etc so look carefully at these details.
    When I was seconded I had to get approval from the head and governors as someone else will need to cover every aspect of your role temporarily.
    This is different from an associate where your contract still remains in school and the school is paid for your time.
    Advantages and disadvantages to both but if you are keen then have a chat to your head about it.

JohnJCazorla likes this.