1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary V post16

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by SiOlsen89, Mar 1, 2016.

1. SiOlsen89

SiOlsen89 New commenter

Hi there,

I'm 26, in the process of applying for a pgce. I've got a degree and a masters in the subject I want to teach, and I'm curious as to what people's opinions are of the two options open to me.

I'm leaning toward applying for a post-compulsory PGCE for many reasons. Firstly, it's the age group I would rather work with (that's not to say I dont enjoy GCSE level), but it would also mean I could begin my training in September, rather than having to wait until next September for a secondary PGCE as they are now full for 2016 entry. However, the financial support available to me at secondary level training is greater, but my main concern is job availability afterwards. I understand that the two qualifications now enable you to teach both age groups respectively, rather than a post16 PGCE being exclusive to post 16 only, as used to be the case.

I just wondered what people's opinions were who have been or are now teachers or people who have the same concerns as I.

Any help would be great!
    Thanks

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

What's your subject area?

3. SiOlsen89

SiOlsen89 New commenter

History

*awaits cries of "there's no jobs!"*

4. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

There are other methods of training to teach if PGCE is full. Have you tried teachfirst?

5. SiOlsen89

SiOlsen89 New commenter

I applied for TeachFirst before chirstmas, but was rejected - I suspect because I had no classroom experience at the time.

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

There are plenty of jobs, but very few places!
    I would suggest waiting, getting some experience and then applying as soon as UCAS opens in October.

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Unless you have a very strong preference for post-16 I'd wait. If you train as secondary that will still cover 16-18 and you'll have more options when it comes to finding a job.

Or, of course, consider some of the other training options, but I don't know much about these.

8. SiOlsen89

SiOlsen89 New commenter

I have experience now, both in secondary and post 16. I'm just wondering about job prospects, whether people look at the two qualifications differently, even though they're actually the same.

9. SiOlsen89

SiOlsen89 New commenter

The post 16 PGCE qualifies you to teach secondary too.

10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Ah, so what's the difference then? Excuse my ignorance! Is it purely the financial support?

11. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Secondary doesn't always cover post 16. The PGCE I run is 11-18 with post 16 enhancement... And we never have trouble getting our trainees into 11-18 schools.

It's actually QTS which qualifies you and you can then teach in any phase. If you're looking at at QTLS qualification, people don't tend to know that as well. It might be a barrier, or it might not. You'll likely get experience of KS4 as well as 5 but the issue will be whether you can teach KS3 - which is the bread and butter of teaching History.

12. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Do Secondary - keep your options open.

13. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am a history teacher.

If your subject was English, then going down the post compulsory route could work.GCSE resit classes, adult learning. With history this isn't the case. There is no raft of adult learners wanting to take GCSE history. Where do you anticipate getting a job if you qualify? If you do not want to teach KS3 then don't train as a teacher. I worry if you are so fixated on post compulsory education then you will struggle to find a job. Also your preference now may not be your preference when you actually get out and have a go. A 11-18 or 16 qualification will give you options.

There are jobs in history anyway. Especially if you are flexible on location. It is not shortage like physics, but neither is it art or PE.

wanet likes this.