1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

secondary trained but wanting a change

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by emmabelper, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    I am a secondary trained maths teacher- I completed my NQT year in a secondary school a few years ago but left after this and went back to University to study a masters. I really didn't get on with the back chat from the pupils.
    Since then I have carried on to a PhD at University but I am very very unhappy and after having some primary classroom experience with a teacher friend realised that I definitley went into teaching at the wrong level. I much prefer being in the classroom with the younger students
    I know from internet research and speaking with a headteacher that I am qualified to teach across all age ranges but at the moment I definitely would not feel confident enough to go straight in as a full time primary school teacher- I know I need more experience.
    I have been browsing some supply agency sites and see that they are advertising for supply HLTA and TAs- I think this would be an ideal way for me to gain experience. I know there is a huge pay difference but it'd be a chance I would be willing to take.Also as a HLTA I would be able to teach groups of children.
    Would this be the right approach to take? Am I going to face many hurdles in this approach? I figure if it is a supply route then I would not be letting anyone down in the future when I felt confident enough to apply for a primary teaching job?
    Many thanks xx

2. this may seem obvious but being a ta/hlta is totally diff to being a teacher. if you are qualified but just lack experience why not just do some supply teaching? i have met some fantastic supply teachers and some less so but providing your basic subject knowledge across the board is ok i would just go in at teacher level- you'd get more useful experience and may even make some contacts in schools who may be looking to recruit.
    i also think most schools in current climate are probably less likely to want to pay for supply tas and would rather have a proper teacher even if your experience is secondary based.

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hello Emma,
    Your situation seems to mirror mine many years ago now.
    I also trained as a secondary teacher - PE and maths, but never really enjoyed it and went off to do other stuff before having a family. It was only when my own children started primary school and I did some volunteering that I realised that I was much better suited to primary teaching.
    Like you, I lacked confidence to dive straight into supply teaching and decided to apply for TA jobs as a way of easing my way in. One of the teachers at my children's school offered to be a referee for me which really helped.
    I managed to secure a TA job where the head also used me for supply. I learnt such a huge amount from working alongside the teachers. After a couple of years the head offered me a temporary job which eventually became permanent.
    That was over 20 years ago now and I have no regrets. It was a struggle initially on a TA salary but if you would be a very attractive proposition for any head.
    Good luck!
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. Thank you for your positive response and showing me that it can be done! I will keep at it :)