1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to Primary

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by steely1, Apr 6, 2020.

1. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Apologies if there are other threads devoted to this, but I was just wondering is it possible to switch from secondary teaching to primary teaching, specifically in terms of transferring from a secondary HOD (core subject) position to a primary subject leader position? Has anyone done it here, and if so, what are the challenges of doing so? I am currently weighing up whether to apply for a primary position and whether an application from a secondary HOD would get a look-in.

Thank you for anyone's input in advance.

2. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Secondary to primary is possible, not sure about secondary HOD to primary subject leader though. It's worth a try.

agathamorse and steely1 like this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have employed two secondary teachers to primary posts, one worked out and the other didn’t. I have also interviewed others who wanted to transfer across The difficulty at interview for some, apart from the lack of experience in primary, was a lack of understanding of the primary curriculum and not being convinced that the candidate fully appreciated the challenges from EYFS to year 6 ( just as I would struggle with year 7 to year 13). This would be especially difficult for core subjects, can you advise EYFS teachers as to appropriate strategies for developing phonics with EAL children having no English whilst challenging year 6 children to develop understanding of passive voice sentences? If you have a clear understanding of the role, whilst being able to convince an interview panel you can teach everything from art to PHSE, computing to RE AND a convincing reason why you want to change , then you have as good a chance as anyone.

4. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Thanks very much to both of you who have responded above, and to CarrieV for the specific pointers.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Very important.

All the other points above are sound advice.

agathamorse and steely1 like this.