1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to primary

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by santamonica, Jan 11, 2016.

1. santamonica

santamonica New commenter

Hi,
    I imagine this has been asked before but I know things are slightly different now. Has any secondary teachers retrained as a primary teacher in the last year or so? I've looked on the GTCS site and the information given about the professional learning programme is pretty vague.
    I can't afford to take a year out of working to just go and do the PGDE course so I'm hopeful there is a way of doing it while still continuing in my current job. I know I would be expected to have some time in a primary school, has any had experience of SLC facilitating this?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Prudent

Prudent New commenter

I moved from secondary to primary in 2000, so I am not sure if this information is still relevant. I did an 18 'additional teaching qualification' course at what was then Jordanhill. It was part placement and part college. I had to pay for the course (about £900 at that time). It was quite intensive, I would have struggled to work part time in the evenings/ weekends. I did get work easily on completion. However I later moved back to secondary in a very different role from my original one. I found the workload a big issue in primary, although I know it is an issue it both sectors.

3. daisy_chain

daisy_chain New commenter

If you do a search on my name you should find some info. I was interested in doing the reverse but as I work full time as a primary teacher I have no idea how the hell the GTCS expect you to get enough experience in a secondary to get you signed off by the head (or the reverse in your case!) Good luck!