1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to Primary

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by GiraffeWah, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi, I am a secondary music PGCE student, but I think I want to move to primary. When I first started thinking about teaching I wanted to do primary, but changed to secondary as I wanted a music focus. I have been led to believe you can switch the age group you teach, but I was wondering what the best way to do this is, and whether its advisable to do this in your NQT year or if I should stick to secondary for now? I don't absolutely hate it (and to be fair I've just had a tough class), so its not a case of not wanting to do secondary at all, I just think I personally enjoy working with younger kids more... I'm really just wondering how I could go about opening my options.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

2. Hi, I am a secondary music PGCE student, but I think I want to move to primary. When I first started thinking about teaching I wanted to do primary, but changed to secondary as I wanted a music focus. I have been led to believe you can switch the age group you teach, but I was wondering what the best way to do this is, and whether its advisable to do this in your NQT year or if I should stick to secondary for now? I don't absolutely hate it (and to be fair I've just had a tough class), so its not a case of not wanting to do secondary at all, I just think I personally enjoy working with younger kids more... I'm really just wondering how I could go about opening my options.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

3. A PGCE qualifies you to teach any age range and in theory you could apply to teach primary. However there is intense competition for primary jobs and you are very unlikely to get a job teaching general primary as you haven't gone through the training. If you want to open your options a job with one of the music services would be a good start (I don't know your main instrument) but almost all of them will want you to teach wider oppportunities in primary, which would give you experience in teaching music to primary school pupils - still doesn't help with the general aspect though and you would have to do some teaching of your instrument as well. If you are in an area or willing to locate to an area with middle schools that can be a way in to teaching primary - although there aren't many left. If you get a job in a secondary school, volunteer to do some work with your feeder primaries - I love working with mine and then i get the best of both worlds quality music making with the older ones and then fun with the younger ones as well.

4. QTS (not a PGCE) qualifies you to teach and it is not restricted to the subject or age that you traiend to teach. You problem will be in convincing an intervciew panel that you can teach primary when you have no experience. Those who do move from one phase to another normally do so by gaining experience. So get the qualification, then gain your induction and finally tray to gain primary exp[erience either by working with primary schools as a liaison from your secondary school or by taking supply work in primaries and gaining experience that way.
    James