1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to primary transition - NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by njose, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hiye,
    I have done my Secondary PGCE.Can I do my induction year in Primary School?
    I have several years experience overseas as primary teacher, as well as some Primary experience in UK asupply teacher. I am confident of convincing the employers, though I might have to put in some extra work, regarding subject knowledge.
    My doubt is, 'Is it allowed to do the transition during the NQT year?'
    Many thanks.

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Yes as long as you meeting the standards, however it is harder in the phase for which you are not trained. (and overseas is quite different I would expect compared to an UK primary)

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

QTS confers the pleasure of being able to work with any age group as a qualified teacher. However in induction year no allowances are made for NQTs not trained in a sector and you have to meet the same core standards as a primary trained teacher. Many secondary trained NQTs have been successful particularly working in Junior schools

4. 'However in induction year no allowances are made for NQTs not trained in a sector'.
    OMG. Does that mean, the School will not be allocated the 1000 pound grant/ term for the induction? In that case, it will be quite hard to get the job ...
    Thankyou so much for the valuable info.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There is no National 1k grant for NQTs any more although some LA's did still provide it lfrom their own resources last year but in the current situation I can't see that continuing. It is very difficult to get an induction post in primary schools particularly in the North and South West of the country