1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to Primary teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Cacm, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Cacm

Cacm New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for some advice.
    I have been teaching in the secondary sector since 1998. I have been a head of department, head of year and now have a pastoral role with whole school responsibility.
    As much as I enjoy secondary, I have always felt a calling to primary. This has been reiterated through my work in primary schools through my various roles.

What is the best route in to primary teaching? I am the main breadwinner so going back to university is not a possibility.

Any advice?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Going back to university isn't needed, indeed isn't possible if you already have QTS.

And there are a number of teachers wanting to do this, you can probably scroll down on here, and look on Jobseekers too, to see their posts.

Read this advice article to get some background on this move

Moving from secondary to primary

Best wishes

3. Cacm

Cacm New commenter

Thank you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My pleasure!

Let me know if there's anything else.

Best wishes

5. fifipye

fifipye New commenter

After ten years in secondary (as Performing Arts teacher, then HOD, then HOF), I moved to primary this year.
    The post was for Literacy and Performing Arts Co-ordinator, and the school wanted someone who could use drama to improve standards in writing, so I have been rather lucky!

I was up against experienced primary teachers at interview, but the Head said that my understanding of where the children need to be, to be properly ready for Yr 7, was more valuable.

I won't lie- the move has been such hard work. Because of the new primary curriculum, a lack of clarity and resources around assessment (I'm Year 6), and the very different way of working/sharing good practice that I'm used to from secondary, I've been run off my feet since I walked in the door. Evenings and weekends are pretty non existent and I have to fit everything around my two young children as well.
    However, I (generally) love it! I appreciate I have been very lucky to find a post that required my existing skills, but I thought I'd comment to let you know that it is possible!!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done @fifipye ! It is always good to hear of a successful move like this.

Here's hoping that it gets easier fast, but stays just as enjoyable.

Best wishes