1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to primary teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vitogio2, Apr 19, 2016.

1. vitogio2

vitogio2 New commenter

I've been teaching primary supply for over a year, retraining myself from secondary. I couldn't join a course as I'm already qualified so am trying to learn on the job. Does anyone have any advice for me on great resources/discipline tactics/lesson ideas or even if i can download a primary "things you must know" guide as i obviously missed everything relevant that primary teachers are trained in? I'm looking at applying for a ppa job for a year as i think this could be a valuable insight into all year groups as i still have no preference. Thanks if you can offer any help or advice.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Go to Amazon and enter Primary teacher

That will give you a load of possibilities, with reviews and stars.

Best wishes

vitogio2 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Doing primary supply is the best way to get experience and ideas.
    Then get applying for posts in schools you have loved.

vitogio2 likes this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i did it that way. it took three years and cost me at least £50,000 in lost earnings. Love the teaching, my wife is less keen on the ever expanding hours, the garden is completely neglected now!

vitogio2 likes this.
  5. collette10

collette10 New commenter

I trained as a Secondary teacher and taught in a secondary school for 3 years but decided I wanted to teach primary. You already have the skills required to teach in a primary school. The hardest part is getting a job but a lot of head teachers understand why you are making the transition. Plus you will have excellent subject knowledge in a particular area that the school will probably capitalise on. Whilst I totally understand why you would go for the PPA route for a year, don't dismiss taking on a class teacher role first. If a school is willing to take you on they should be willing to offer you the initial support you require. Books are fantastic, but nothing compares to real experience.

vitogio2 likes this.