1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to primary TA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by justineberry, Jan 18, 2020.

1. justineberry

justineberry New commenter

I’ve been teaching for 15 years as an Art Teacher. I’m currently taking time off while my kids are small.
    I have been wondering about the possibility of working as a TA in a primary school. Due to the lessoned work load and hours that fit around school.
    Does anyone have experience of this? As I’m a qualified teacher with QTS what level could I apply at? Would I be able to gain extra input as an Art lead?

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Generally for a TA you teaching qualifications would not get you more money. The jobs are advertised with a pay scale and that is what you get.
    a school may use your art skills to cover PPA, they may pay you a higher rate for this they may not. Each school is so different.
    Look at the jobs available, visit the schools and see what impression you get.
    When I worked as a TA when my kids were young I had to put my youngest into breakfast club so I could get to my job at the time they wanted me. Inset days could be a problem unless you have someone who could look after them.
    Really you will not know until you try.

3. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

And never assume that behaviour will be easier to handle than a secondary. I echo the previous post as have 2 colleagues who are qualified teachers, employed as TAs and paid as TAs but due to their QTS they often get left with whole class responsibility but NOT teacher pay. Watch out that you don’t get exploited. I know you can argue my colleagues shouldn’t agree to what is being asked if they feel it is exploitative but that is easier said than done. Good luck, whatever you decide.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Above posters are right - every school is different. You might even find an HLTA job where you could cover PPA and teach art - if that appeals. You might not find it much less of a workload than secondary teaching though.
    In answer to your question, it's definitely worth applying. We almost always short-list qualified teachers who have applied for TA roles and have employed 3 in the past. I think you should definitely be applying at level 3. Best of luck.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  5. justineberry

Thanks this is really helpful. My last job of 15 years was at an independent school so
    8 - 5, although it paid well I would love to be able to collect my kids from school and cook them dinner in the evening.
    Do TA’s have work outside of work? That was the killer before.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

TAs are hourly paid, so there can be no obligation to work over and above their paid time. Many arrive 15 minutes early (if they start at the beginning of the school day) so that they can check in with the class teacher, and stay 10 minutes or so at the end of the day. There are also those who are happy to work quite a few hours extra (for no extra pay) but I think they're getting fewer these days. But many, who have childcare commitments, make it very clear what time they will need to leave and stick to it.

7. justineberry

Super helpful, thank you. Hoping if I manage to get something local with slightly shorter day than my son I’ll be grand.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

On my last TA job I was paid from 8.45 am to 4pm with half an hour unpaid lunch.A staff meeting once a week to 5pm which was paid.