1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

secondary to primary career move

Discussion in 'Primary' started by newrumpus, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi, I am seriously considering switching stages. I realise that this might be a bit of a challenge as I have taught secondary for a long time. I am trying to make myself more appealing to the primary sector by studying for an AS/A2 in mathematics and, as I'm an English teacher already (although I've taught quite a few subjects at KS3) I will have both key subjects covered. I am trying to get involved in some transition work this year to give me some experience too.

What I wondering is, is there anything else I can do to make myself more prepared to apply to the primary sector? As experienced Primary teachers what else do I need to do?

2. Hi, I am seriously considering switching stages. I realise that this might be a bit of a challenge as I have taught secondary for a long time. I am trying to make myself more appealing to the primary sector by studying for an AS/A2 in mathematics and, as I'm an English teacher already (although I've taught quite a few subjects at KS3) I will have both key subjects covered. I am trying to get involved in some transition work this year to give me some experience too.

What I wondering is, is there anything else I can do to make myself more prepared to apply to the primary sector? As experienced Primary teachers what else do I need to do?

3. Prepare yourself for exhaustion! Primary children (and parents) can be very very needy.
    Prepare yourself that the transition may not be easy. The primary sector is absolutely saturated with Primary trained teachers who can't get jobs (we had 170 applicants for 1 post recently). You need to try and think about what it is that you can offer that will want a school to take you on instead of someone more 'experienced' in primary.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whilst admirable that you're doing this as you're not going to be teaching maths at anything like that level it's not that relevant.
    What is though, is to have agood all-round knowledge of all curriculum subjects-especially how to interlink subjects, and a genuine love of children, with all their' funny' behaviours. There's also much more 'social training' goes on in the Primary sector & lots of time spent sorting out minor squabbles than you'll be used to. It's continuous teaching all day, often through breaks & lunch trying to catch up readers, follow up discipline or just prepare for practical sessions/photocopying etc. very little help or 'downtime' in Primary.
    I always think of Primary being children-orientated & Sec subject-orientated, as a quick difference-of course it's not quite as simple as that.
    Do bear comments about Primary sector having lots of trained staff trying for the jobs, but who knows you could be one who does successfully make the transition!