1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary to early years advice

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by creeves3, Nov 11, 2019.

1. creeves3

creeves3 New commenter

I'm after a bit of advice...

I am a secondary trained teacher with QTS and SENCo and I'd like to make the move to primary/early years. I've been working part-time while my son is young and looking forward to a new challenge when he starts school next Sept. I am keen to work in early years/KS1 as I know (from my work as a secondary SENCo) how crucial this time is in terms of language, literacy and resilience etc.

I'm finding it hard to find a primary post that is suitable and considering completing the graduate entry early years programme to develop my knowledge and practice. Since I already have QTS would it be worth completing the EYTS so that I then apply for primary posts and pursue leaderships post like primary SENCo? Would a school look favourably on someone with EYTS plus QTS and SENCo gained from secondary?

Thanks

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I'm never sure how much attention has ever been paid to my EYTS. But then again, my PGCE was focused on age 3-7 so who knows.

It would back your case by having relevant qualifications and experience in early years. But then again, isn't there a shortage of early years teachers?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Experience in EYFS will help you far, far more than a qualification.
    I too am secondary trained and moved to primary, then EYFS.
    Maybe try supply teaching in primary schools and nurseries for a year or so first, or an HLTA post in a primary, ideally one that has a nursery class.
    Then you have a heap of SENDCO experience and EYFS/primary experience to make your application fantastic.

OR
    Look to the independent sector. Many of the preps are for ages 3-13 and would bite your hand off as a secondary trained SENDCO and allow you to move to primary ages.

4. creeves3

creeves3 New commenter

Thanks, out of interest what made you move from secondary to primary/EYFS? What is it like in comparison?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's far more fun!
    You get to build relationships with the children because you see them all the time.
    You can teach a range of subjects.
    It's just more pleasurable.

Rather harder work in terms of marking and prep, and classroom displays and so on.
    But if you like younger children more than teens, then it's a worthwhile swap.

6. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

I’ve also made that change. I didn’t do any extra training, just a few months of supply where I insisted I only wanted Yr2 or younger.

I agree with caterpillartobutterfly that it’s just so much more FUN!