1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

secondary teacher working in primary school

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tonymars, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm with you there.

Apart from all the bruises on arms from the "Miss. Miss." and having to spend a lot of time on one's knees to be 'at their level'.
    Plus the inevitable "I've finished Miss." two minutes after one has set a task. :rolleyes:
    One question I rapidly developed was 'tell me about this' when their scribble / picture gave no indication of what it was supposed to be. :p

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Yes, rather than the more obvious question: 'What is this picture meant to be?' You soon learn how to pitch questions at their level. However, back in the Summer term I had forgotten I was dealing with a Reception class and when one of the children announced 'I'm five!', my next question wasn't very well thought out: 'That's nice - and when were you five?' Cue pitying look and the razor sharp response : 'On my birthday!....'

agathamorse, peakster and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm sorry but the very idea of being in charge of a class of 5 or 6 year old children just fills me with terror.

BertieBassett2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have never marked when doing primary. The most I do is lean over kids and tick the work they are doing.