1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary teacher got a contract with Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cb700, Mar 15, 2016.

1. cb700

cb700 New commenter

Hi I have worked as a secondary teacher for 12 years and have done supply since September. I was interested in doing some primary supply and found I love it!
    I have a contract starting after Easter with a year 4/5 class and a maths group of year 3 /4. When asking the current teacher about what they had already studied she said she was following the NC and focusing on things they didnt know. Not really helpful.
    Im not sure where to start with planning and a scheme of learning.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Your colleague is correct. You have to teach the NC, but first you will need to identify the gaps in the children's knowledge/ability. So you can't plan too much until you do some assessments on the children.
    Meanwhile you can spend some time looking at the new requirements of the curriculum, particularly years 3-5.
    Another thing you need to consider is you need to find out if the school does 'topic' work, or teaches subjects 'discretely'? If the former, teachers often link English and Maths with the current topic, so as you peruse the documents you might start to think about areas which will fall naturally into the topic.

Ask if you can go into school and see if children are taught in mixed ability or ability groups? Do they have different groups for class / Maths / English? Which children need to work away from other children? Then you can start to work out how you can imprint your own working methods on the classes.

That's just for starters.

3. cb700

cb700 New commenter

Thanks thats helpful im a bit of a perfectionist so want it to be right and dont want to let anyone down. They are taught in different ability groups for maths but the same class for English. Going in for PPA planning next week to look at topic work I think it will be a science based topic.
    This is where i am finding it different from secondary to primary is there not a fixed format of when and what to teach as some of the NC are quite vague.
    I have found some useful plans on TES are they a good start?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't forget a lot of your time may be taken up with 'social skills' too. Learning how to behave for instance, You may find you need about 5- 10 mins after break and lunchtimes to 'sort out any friendship issues' for example.
    With Primary too you may need longer / shorter time periods to teach any particular area, so it's difficult to plan in the way one does at Sec. Sometimes you need to 'stick at something for a while to ensure all children are ready to move on. Equally you may start something and decide, based on children's responses to simply delay that particular area till later on in the year, when they might be more ready.
    So as you can see, ability to change one's plans is the name of the game. A good plan is one which has lots of colours/ alterations on it! Unless of course that's not expected in your school.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask at school if they follow any plans. Some schools use a scheme, some follow Hamilton Trust and so on. I like http://www.ccjmaths.co.uk/ and both that and Hamilton trust are very cheap if you end up paying yourself. Then follow the plans for any units the class haven't covered/understood yet.
    Some TES plans are good and some rubbish. But none will follow an entire term of work.

I moved from secondary to primary years ago now...you will pick it up more easily than you think. And it is far, far more fun! Best of luck!

cb700 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

I find it very hard to believe that your school doesn't already have extensive planning in place!! What type of school is it? There will be plans from the past two years at least since the advent of the NC. if they aren't there , then you'll have to plan from scratch but it seems very odd to me indeed.

7. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

Lok at the4 TEs for planning ideas and here:
    ks2complete.com