1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary teacher covering PPA?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bamzi1, Jul 9, 2012.

1. I have taught as daily supply teacher for a while now.
    The agency offered me PPa cover for Y1 and Y2 in Primary School
    I am a Science Secondary NQT. I haven't recieved any more offers and it's two week until the term is over. I don't feel comfortable with accepting this offer as it may not be worth it in the future.
    I need some sound advice,[​IMG]

2. I have taught as daily supply teacher for a while now.
    The agency offered me PPa cover for Y1 and Y2 in Primary School
    I am a Science Secondary NQT. I haven't recieved any more offers and it's two week until the term is over. I don't feel comfortable with accepting this offer as it may not be worth it in the future.
    I need some sound advice,[​IMG]

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

In the last two weeks of the Summer term there will be very little other work around, you don't accept it you might not get any other offers until next September.
    You had better be quick with your decision since another supply teacher will be quicker to take your place.

4. Thanks les
    I am worried that teaching primary may work against me whenIi want to apply for secondary post.
    Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did it work out?

5. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

It's surprising the agency have offered it to you as you are secondary trained, but you should take it and not worry about the future implications. Come September, insist on secondary work if that's want you want. So many teachers are asked to compromise- taking assistant positions or cover work, and majority of teachers don't want them, but have to do whatever pays the bills!

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i am secondary trained and have covered everything from nursery to upper VIth. Take it, enjoy the change.
    PPA cover is fun and means you get to see loads of other teachers classrooms and ideas. With 1&2 you may get to read a story, which they love too!
    and ref the agency, i have found a bit of working outside the comfort zone "to help them out" means you rapidly move up the list of who gets called first.
    i have loved working in primary rather than secondary, you will do loads more teaching than babysitting, which sounds odd but due to the behavour in many sndry is true!

7. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

I am secondary originally, and I cover everything from Year 1-13. I do more primary supply, as daily secondary supply is now dead (yet another of my agencies is closing their secondary desk next week), although long term secondary work is still available. I actually prefer primary supply. I am currently on a long term placement teaching Year 5. In this day and age, you need to be flexible, so I would say go for it and enjoy it!

8. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

I thought that Primary schools were hot on making sure that all teachers had done the Primary Literacy and Numeracy course..................... something that Secondary teachers generally will not have done.

9. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

Many Primary schools will employ pretty much anyone to cover PPA or short term absence, whether it be a TA, sports coach or a HLTA. Money is the main factor, not whether someone has done a literacy or numeracy course.

10. Thank you for the great responses . [​IMG]
    Hammie and Teacha thank you sharing your experiences. It's good to know this happens and it not so strange.
    I spoke to the agency and accepted. I am sorted for next term and maybe until July 2013 if it goes well. so in August I can have a real holiday.

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

great news!
    have fun, and take note of the level of work that years 5 and 6 are doing in areas such as Maths, it may well surprise you. I have given up trying to explain to some secondary teachers round here that the year 7 curriculum is set too low for much of their intake!

12. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Well done on the job! I am sure that you will enjoy it! I agree about the Maths - you would be very surprised at the level taught at primary school!