1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary teacher - behaviour beyond!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by MissyICT, Mar 30, 2019.

1. MissyICT

MissyICT New commenter

Hi I’m an experienced teacher. I recently moved from a great school where I was established and I can’t say lesson were perfect but the low level behaviour I could deal with and worked well.

Now I am lost. I have students I every class that test the boundaries but two classes in particular that are testing inY9.

I meet and greet at the door and have a differentiated starter - they stand behind their desks at the start of the lesson. I then try to start the lesson. I can not get them to be quiet. Some of the better ones did but even them now don’t bother. So I try to get them quiet with a count down 3 to 1 slowly. Still as soon as I speak the noise starts again. I sometimes give up and just get text books out as I can do task or just write notes on the board and get them to copy, writing faster than they can.

I have tried: differentiate lessons, changing the seat plan to sit “quiet” students together with more boisterous. These student refuse to move so that I go through consequences points, until one or 3 get removed. They don’t care. Or they just go at the quiet ones: stealing shoes, stealing equipment, books. I’ve had them throw airplanes, notes, books. They have stollen equipment, glue sticks disappear or end up hidden In the room, pouring water on each other’s books, gluing chairs, hair etc. Ive tried postive points and praising good behaviour, reprimanding in private. We are not allowed to put names on the board. I’ve called parents who say “how do I know they have done that, or you have an issue with them.”

I plan my lessons to include: bingo, word searches, quizzes, find the answers around the room, pick an activity, cartoons etc

I asked for SLT support (changing seating plans, students refusing to move, getting theclass quiet or the room tidy at the end) they will walk out at the end or two 10 minutes before the end and try to insure others to do this and I got: make your PowerPoint on a white background. Then I got told I’d fail my PM as I was asking for helptherefore my behaviour management needs work.

What can I do as I dread these lessons andnever been anywhere like this. The school is rated highly both ofstedand in the community that’s why I went.

Lost and really need some advice.

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

SLT telling you you would fail as you asked for help?? I would leave then school asap! That's what they're there for!

3. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

You're doing too much. I would sit the noisy ones at the back together, and move the ones that want to learn to the front, even if it is only 4 or so of them. And then completely ignore the ones that aren't trying. Within reason of course, don't let anything get dangerous or violent, but shower attention, praise, help and support on those that are trying. I've found this has various reactions. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, but it appeases my conscience about that good kids getting a bad deal. Sometimes the naughty kids are angry that I've stopped trying and so confused by it. Generally things get worse before they can get beteer, but I do find consistently that the noise level does drop with this approach. But more than anything you stop feeling like you're going mad and worrying about it and can save your energy for something more useful. This is probably not the right solution but works for me. It's just a job!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

1) if you ‘fail’ your PM at this place it’s no loss. If SLT won’t support you with behaviour then they aren’t doing their job.

2) an experienced teacher arriving in a new school will have behaviour problems because kids don’t care whether you’ve taught for six months or sixty years. SLT need to make the students aware that they will support you however you need to be supported.

3) again, if SLT won’t support you, it’s going to be impossible to teach your subject. One sneaky (but dangerous) route is to ring the parents of the good students. Tell them how well their children are doing under the circumstances, and subtly hint that they would do much better in a different class. When two or three parents are ringing up to complain, SLT might change their attitude. They may well blame you, but that might prompt them to do their job.

4) talk to your union about making a formal complaint against the school. Probationary periods are a two ways street. If you are going to fail from lack of support, that’s their fault not yours. We have a right to be treated as professionals and given the resources/ help we need to do our job properly.

5) If all else fails, take the route of least resistance. You only have another couple of months to go and presumably you are look8ng for alternative employment. So begin strutting your lessons so that they are a reasonable experience for you, regardless of the kids behaviour.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

I do something similar but by moving naughty/ noisy people to one side. I think you 're right, back of the classroom is probably more appropriate. Will try that next week, thanks for the suggestion.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 New commenter

You're doing more than enough. It is not you it is the school.

Leave.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree 100% plus a million times more with the above post by Spoofer.

The school have a duty of care towards you and they are failing to provide support. The students are behaving badly because SLT have ALLOWED it.

Hundreds of teachers are suffering in classes just like the one described in the OP because the LEADERS are too weak to step in and do the job they are PAID to do.

There is no excuse whatsoever for students to be allowed to run riot in classes to do whatever they please.

It is sickening to know leaders blame class teachers for asking for assistance and threaten them with failure.