1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary teacher as primary governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Trendy Art, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Senior commenter

I was looking at the forums and I couldn't find a similar thread, so thanks in advance for any responses.

I'm thinking about becoming a governor at a primary. Partly because I am curious about the other side of the fence and would like to learn about how the structure of primary works to benefit students and volunteer my support.

I recognise the distinction between being governor as a 'critical friend', that staff therein are responsible for running the school and putting aside any unconscious bias of my secondary experience unless specifically asked.

So, my questions are before I commit (if given the opportunity):
    • What kind of timings, meetings, reading and potential commitments might I expect?
    • In addition, is there any issue with being a teacher in a secondary applying to govern in a primary? I once applied many years ago only to find the local authority stated that it was not possible at the time.
    • What should I be aware of, being an existing teacher, in meetings aside from what I have stated?

2. Lattelady

Lattelady New commenter

At the absolute minimum four meetings a year (one per term + a budget setting meeting) more usually seven meetings (one every half term plus budget). Then it depends on how many Committees you sit on... we tend to tag ours onto the GB meeting. Reading, a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon before the meeting unless you are revising a major policy.

There is no issue in you applying and there never has been... unfortunately there was a time when some Local Authorities took weird decisions that were not borne out by legislation.

Just go to meetings with an open mind, your expertise will be welcomed. However be aware that primary schools are more open to visiting than secondary schools, will this make it difficult for you in your secondary role? Being a governor is about the bigger picture and the strategy for moving the school forward, I think you might find your eyes being opened about what happens but it will also read well on your CV as you get into more senior posts.

Trendy Art likes this.
  3. staxis

staxis New commenter

I am a secondary school teacher and I was a governor at a primary school for a few years - chair of governors for a couple of them. It really is great experience but different from secondary. You will bring an experience of education to the governing body which should be very useful. Go for it!

Trendy Art likes this.
  4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Not sure why the LA should block you - unless you were a bankrupt. The rules are simple enough but your employer may be reluctant to be flexible in your timekeeping so that you can attend meetings.
    Being a governor in one of your feeder schools will give you a great 'heads-up' on your new intake and help with transition arrangements.