1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Sencos - admin support?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by minnie me, Apr 25, 2012.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hi -at one point we had an admin secretary who worked about 75 % of her allocated time on SEN paperwork ( large inner city secondary with lots of students on the Additional Needs Record ) . It worked for a while until the SLT decided that they could not ' justify ' the role so our dedicated person was directed to take up more general admin duties. Myself and my colleague had worked exclusively with our support sec and she had an excellent understanding of the SEN calendar - made a difficult job easier. However we were then told to farm out all the SEN related documentation to anyone working in the general office. Staff there were really obliging but by the time you explained what was required / corrected the mistakes and 'micro managed ' the schedule it became increasingly frustrating for all and was neither cost beneficial or cost effective.

2. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Thanks for that minnie me - it's what is happeening at our place. The head sent a secretary down yesterday to collect the "extra admin" - I think he thinks I have a load of letters to type up! I suggested she did the updates to the whole school provision map and she looked blank. Even if she had done it, it would have taken me longer to explain to her where all the results etc are that it is quicker to do it myself.

3. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

In my last role as senco, in a small inner city secondary (600 with 125 on special needs reg) I had an assistant for two days a week who did purely SEN admin. I was also on a .5 teaching timetable. And even then it wasn't enough!

4. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Thanks for the replies - feel as though I am not making sense when I try and argue my case. The issue is that the last ofsted gave us satisfactory for SEN as progress was not deemed enough so I am trying to address that. The problem I have is that the data tracking isn't going to improve standards but I am spending all my time collecting data and evidence of this and that that I have little time for interventions and classroom stuff which might actually make a difference. I could sit in an offfice all day at the computer and have fabulous paperwork when ofsted turn up but our results won't change. This job feels like two jobs!

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I'm afraid that's what it IS like. You spend your time collecting data about various cohorts, ensure you haven't missed EAL, FSM, ethnic minorities etc and you update it regularly, so that, with ARs, you spend all your time doing that and either provision mapping or something similar.
    You set up training on differentiation for subject staff, produce quantities of exemplar material, you produce strategies for working with pupils with types of difficulties.
    Whilst all this is happening, you don't have time to get into the classroom to see how the intervention groups are working, progress made and effectiveness of said intervention. you don't have time to see whether the TAs are making a difference, or whether subject teachers are making a difference to SEND pupils.
    Just when you escape from the computer, phone, data etc, to try to get into the classroom for a few minutes, as you're walking down a corridor, someone stops you with an 'urgent' request. when you're not doing that, you're dealing with CP issues etc, etc.
    Welcome to the world of the SENCo - but of course, if you don't have a specific teaching responsibility, you aren't doing very much at all and can be called on at short notice for anything.
    Jaded moi! Heaven forfend!