1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Senco to Primary Senco

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by badviolinist, Jan 7, 2017.

1. badviolinist

badviolinist New commenter

Hi, has anyone moved from a job as a secondary senco to a primary senco? I have an interview next week and I'm wondering how different a senco job in a primary school may be.
    I have the NASENCO qualification and years of experience but after a bit of time out bringing up kids my confidence is wobbly.
    Also, do I really want a job as a primary SENCO? Is it even more work than secondary?
    Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It will certainly be different. Sheer numbers for a start, but possibly much more intensive and lots of meetings with agencies etc. You'll be expected to work out individually tailored interventions and possibly teach them yourself, but that's probably no different.

badviolinist likes this.
  3. badviolinist

badviolinist New commenter

4. historidan

historidan New commenter

I work in a 3-18 Academy so work very closely with the primary senco. Her teaching commitment is far less than mine because she has lots more meetings with external agencies, parents etc. She is expected to deliver tailored interventions etc. However, I get the impression her paperwork (other than EHCP/Top-up applications etc, where there are more due to emerging needs) is not as demanding as mine. The class teachers write the IEPs, are good at identifying when there is a need and referring where necessary. When I have attended EHCP/Statement reviews at the primary site they have been led by the class teacher not the SENCo as the teacher knows more about them.
    Hope this helps.

Lara mfl 05 and badviolinist like this.