1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary SENCO interview

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by gem25, Feb 16, 2012.

1. I have an interview next week for SENCO. I have never done this role before and I am thrilled to have been shortlisted. I am not too concerned about the interview as I have lots of experience working with SEN students and am doing lots of reading. What I am concerned about are the 2 tasks I need to do on top of the interview. The first is to teach a 20 minute lesson to a small group of underachieving Y7 students who are SA/SA+. This is not a problem as I do this every day, but they are asking me to assess their learning styles in order to produce a learner profile. I am assuming this means they want me "diagnose" each student and then come up with some sort of pen portrait for each child in the group? Any ideas?
    The other task is a Raise Online activity - that is all it says. I know what Raise Online is, but has anyone got any ideas what I would need to do so I can start swotting?!
    Many thanks in advance - really want the job!

2. I have an interview next week for SENCO. I have never done this role before and I am thrilled to have been shortlisted. I am not too concerned about the interview as I have lots of experience working with SEN students and am doing lots of reading. What I am concerned about are the 2 tasks I need to do on top of the interview. The first is to teach a 20 minute lesson to a small group of underachieving Y7 students who are SA/SA+. This is not a problem as I do this every day, but they are asking me to assess their learning styles in order to produce a learner profile. I am assuming this means they want me "diagnose" each student and then come up with some sort of pen portrait for each child in the group? Any ideas?
    The other task is a Raise Online activity - that is all it says. I know what Raise Online is, but has anyone got any ideas what I would need to do so I can start swotting?!
    Many thanks in advance - really want the job!

3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

They probably want you to be able to identify whether the students are auditory, visual or kinaesthetic learners, so you can teach to their strengths, whilst identifying their weaknesses. The Raise Online might be to do with identifying those SEND students who have made progress, whether they are SA, SA+ or S and thereby giving a steer as to how the planning should evolve. for example, if you found that the SA students were making insifficient progress compared to SA+, they would want to know what you would do to change it.

4. Hi, I was wondering how your interview went? How did the 'assessing of the learning styles' go? Sounded fairly tough. I'm just applying for a SENCo job so trying to read up on what an interview might be like!

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes and to look at the priority need of the co hort and see if this has implications also for training issues . I agree re the learning styles ' exercise ' -just a snapshot in time and students should not be labelled accordingly.