1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary school subjects most in demand?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by educklair, Aug 23, 2019.

1. educklair

educklair New commenter

Hi everyone. I am planning to do my PGCE next year to change my career. I do love teaching and I would like to choose the subject focusing on those most in demand where school struggle to recrute teachers. Given my academic background (BSc in Businsess and Economics and MSc in International Development) I think I have few options: Business, Maths, Physics, Geography, Computing, Citizenship. I would also partake a SKE in the chosen subject.

Which of these subjects would make it easier to find a job in an international school at better conditions?

Many thanks!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

Many countries will only give you a visa if your degree matches the subject you are teaching, so as it stands, you would only be eligible to teach Business or Economics, unless you are starting again and doing a new degree, in which case physics.

3. educklair

educklair New commenter

Thanks Corvurax. Which are the subjects most in demand in your opinion?

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Physics!

ViolaClef likes this.
  5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Its definitely not "many" countries that require a matching degree for your subject. Its a few, and a lot of these are in less than desirable countries. There is a huge amount of countries where it wont matter at all.

Definitely choose physics, you will never be out of work.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

International schools?

If you choose physics you will have to teach biology and chemistry to GCSE.

If you teach Geography then that’s fairly universal for international schools.

If you teach mathematics. That’s a core subject and rock solid.

The other subjects are minority subjects.

Seriously, teach a core subject if you can and one of English or maths if you can. My advice is maths. The current rate of SKE for maths runs at 60% of all UK trainees. International schools will find 3 in 5 new teachers of maths will have an SKE background so that will be fine.

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Maths or Physics.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

MrMedia, I spoke to the young chap who teaches Physics at my present school here in Sofia. Does he have to teach Biology as well? No, he doesn't. Physics and Chemistry teachers are in such short supply that any principal with half a brain will get them to teach what? Needlework? Spanish? No, Physics and Chemistry. Biology teachers seem to be a bit more plentiful.

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

This is definitely not a true statement.

You also want you consider looking at the IB to teach at. The IB is significantly bigger than the British system, therefore you will have many more employment opportunities.

yasf likes this.
  10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I refer to the PGCE. On any PGCE you have to demonstrate you have gained evidence of teaching the three sciences against the teacher standards. You’ll be dreaming if you think they’ll give you pure physics on a PGCE. You can work as a pure physics teacher, but you’ll train as a science teacher.

agathamorse likes this.