1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary school subjects most in demand?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by educklair, Aug 23, 2019.

1. educklair

educklair New commenter

Hi everyone. I am planning to do my PGCE next year to change my career. I do love teaching and I would like to choose the subject focusing on those most in demand where school struggle to recrute teachers. Given my academic background (BSc in Businsess and Economics and MSc in International Development) I think I have few options: Business, Maths, Physics, Geography, Computing, Citizenship. I would also partake a SKE in the chosen subject.

Which of these subjects would make it easier to find a job in an international school at better conditions?

Many thanks!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Many countries will only give you a visa if your degree matches the subject you are teaching, so as it stands, you would only be eligible to teach Business or Economics, unless you are starting again and doing a new degree, in which case physics.

3. educklair

educklair New commenter

Thanks Corvurax. Which are the subjects most in demand in your opinion?