1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary School small group / 1:1 interventions

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by surfncanoe, Jun 6, 2011.

1. surfncanoe

surfncanoe New commenter

Hi all
    I have recently been appointed to manage the ls dept. In September, I want there to be more small group work. I am all for inclusion in lessons, but for some students, their reading ability, numeracy skills etc does need addressing.
    We already deliver SEAL in circle time for behaviour etc
    Can anyone recommend any programmes to help with reading, numeracy. There are loads out there, but some I know are not very good.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. surfncanoe

surfncanoe New commenter

Hi all
    I have recently been appointed to manage the ls dept. In September, I want there to be more small group work. I am all for inclusion in lessons, but for some students, their reading ability, numeracy skills etc does need addressing.
    We already deliver SEAL in circle time for behaviour etc
    Can anyone recommend any programmes to help with reading, numeracy. There are loads out there, but some I know are not very good.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. I can only comment on literacy. To help with that, u have to find out first of all what the weaknesses of each pupil are.
    Can the pupil read regularly spelt words, but still gets stuck on ones which contain tricky letters, i.e. some of those www.englishspellingproblems.co.uk/html/sight_words ?
    Are they still confused about even more basic letter-sound correspondences and need to do some revision with http://englishspellingproblems.co.uk/html/learning_to_read.html ? Or is their weakness mainly comprehension?
    Ditto for spelling. By the secondary stage pupils' spelling abilities vary enormously, because learning to spell English is largely a matter of memorisation, and pupils differ greatly in their ability to do so. So it's a matter of finding out which words they keep misspelling, what their sentence structure and punctuation are like and addressing their particular needs.
    U are unlikely to find a program that suits all their different needs.

4. I highly recommend ReadWrite Inc Freshstart. It is a programme based on synthetic phonics principles written to boost levels of children working at L3 or below in Ys 5,6 & 7. It is actually OK for Y8 too! Sadly, it is very expensive.
    I also suggest that you look at Phonics International. This is a phonics programme which is appropriate for any age group. It is very inexpensive and includes lots of free resources.
    www.phonicsinternational.com

5. Hi
    I work in special ed school with students up to 18 from mild/moderate and EBD. Have found Toe by Toe invaluable resource. It works. I know it has to be 1:1 but if you can get parents/carers on board with you very good results. At present I have two of my own class using it ages 15 and 17. Already word attack skills improved. Good Luck.

6. I second the Toe by Toe comments, it really is very good indeed. However, something I notice in our school is that spelling is overemphasised as a literacy issue..I know I know it kind of is the root of literacy but...oneof the problems I find at secondary is that some of the bigproblemsare caused by missing grammar basics too. If you can't punctuate and don't know your different word types (parts of speech!!) then you wont get a GCSE in English, so simple age differentiated tasks for filling in identified gaps are often v useful.

7. surfncanoe

surfncanoe New commenter

Thank you
    I Understand that in the new Green Paper, there needs to be more focus on synthetic phonics in Secondary Literacy.
    This will be a major focus in OFSTED inspections from now on