1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

secondary school appeals. advice please!!

Discussion in 'Governors' started by montebourg, Mar 1, 2008.

1. We found out on Monday what secondary school we have been allocated for our son and are expecting to have to appeal. what do governors consider to be good grounds for appeal? Any tips greatly appreciated.

2. We found out on Monday what secondary school we have been allocated for our son and are expecting to have to appeal. what do governors consider to be good grounds for appeal? Any tips greatly appreciated.

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

What are your honest reasons for appeal?

4. The only successful grounds for appeal are if you believe (and can prove) that the criteria have not been applied correctly or in certain exceptional cases - eg hardship/welfare issues but even then they may not be enough.

Not getting your own way is not grounds for appeal per se. Unless you are paying you do not have a 'right' to any school

Sorry to be so blunt, but I've been all sides of this chestnut - from the governor handling appeals to the parent who's son got his 3rd choice. We didn't appeal because although we didn't like it, it was fair.

On a practical note, you will need to contact the admisssions secretary of your 1st choice school and ask for the appeals procedure. Be prepared for a long, stressful and unsuccessful battle.

Good luck!

5. cbl

cbl

My advice would be: download the Admission Code and the Admission Apeals Code from the DCSF website.

Also look on the ACE website, check IPSEA if your child has SEN and finally read LGO judgements in Admission cases since they also give pointers as to how admissions and appeals should be handled and where some admission authorities get it wrong.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am passing on a web site of which I am aware.

Please note that I am not promoting nor endorsing this site, but the OP may be interested in its content.

http://www.schoolappeals.co.uk/

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You should only appeal on grounds which are truthful for you and your child.