1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary pupil progress tracking

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by chamunt, Oct 26, 2018.

1. chamunt

chamunt New commenter

I'm looking to go back into teaching after five years out and I'm trying to get my head round how progress tracking works these days. Would be really grateful for some pointers on how secondary schools track progress and identify underachievement without Levels at KS3? Is Midyis and Yellis still used? Are there any other tracking systems widely used? Any recommendations where I can read up on up to date assessment / tracking issues?

Many thanks for any help.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

a lot of schools use some kind of "are you on track for target grade at GCSE" grading system.
    Eg set a target grade on entry based on KS2 scores (100 is now the "expected" score - range goes from 80 to 120), then use grades throughout the 5 years ot indicate on track or not.
    Eg set a target of a 5 (high C/low B) on entry, then all grades in all tests in all years are based on that. So if you get a 5 in year 7 you are on track; get a 4 and you are working towards, etc.
    MIDYIS etc still around I think but maybe not so common

3. chamunt

chamunt New commenter

Thanks Strawbs, very much appreciate the reply.
    Is it still a system where SLT looks at termly data from departments to identify underachievers?

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I guess that varies from school to school!