1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary - Prep - Primary?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mikec15, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi.
    I'm an experienced secondary trained science teacher. When I first decided to teach, my choice was either my subject or follow my experience of working with children (judo instruction with 5-10 year olds). I chose my subject. I don;t regret my choice, far from it, but having worked in a prep schools as head of subject and having taught KS2 this year, I have enjoyed it a great deal and in all honesty have no real desire to go back to secondaries. I am however missing the state sector and am tempted to go to primary. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how best to go about this?

Thank you very much.
    MIke

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Just apply. But be warned Primary is oversubscribed. I teach mainly Year 6 in a state middle school 9-13. Probably the nearest state equivalent to a prep school. Is this an option? We are actually closing to become two tier all our teachers wanting to go primary have been succesful in getting posts in primary schools (a good few in pre-exsisitng primary schools in neighboring areas, (as apose to in the expaning first schools))

3. Thanks Paulie, am keeping an eye out, but obviously nothing there at the moment. By the way, what do you mean by oversubscribed?
    Cheers.

4. There are too many teachers chasing too few jobs. Some jobs have in excess of 200 applicants.

5. There are hundreds more primary teachers than there are jobs. If you are serious about the move you need to consider what it is that makes you more employable than the hundreds of primary trained teachers searching for the same job as you.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I would have thought that would be a task for the employer's interview panel / interviewer?

7. If the OP knows the answer to the question, he can then try to sell it to the panel in his application.