1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary PGCE teaching Primary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cayley, Feb 11, 2012.

1. No I've never taught a PE lesson, I've organised and delivered activity days which involved playing games outside (throwing and catching games, rounders, obstacle courses etc). But not sure if that's the type of thing they would be looking for.
    Suppose the only way to find out is to give it my best shot and apply.
    Welshchocoholic- are you currently teaching primary? If you are, how did you go about changing from secondary to primary?
    Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
    Cayley

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't forget to read and follow the advice on here for producing effecting applications.
    My advice on writing applications is contained mainly in the shortlisting clickables inside the welcome thread here on this Forum. Also read the FAQs.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    More information in: Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted in blocks?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

I am at the minute. I just did lots and lots of day to day supply in Primary Schools, then the same schools kept asking me back, then some of these schools needed someone more long term. I lived in a very small place, so hardly any permanent jobs came up, and unfortunately people in these schools were being made redundant. I then moved to a much bigger place, still doing day to day supply. I have got a long term placement that started in January, and may last until just before the Easter holidays. There are more jobs for me to apply in this area, though I am no good at interviews. I am myself still looking for a permanent job though.
    Read everything Theo advises, as I'm sure that is what has got me to the interviews that I have had. Good luck with it all [​IMG]