1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary PGCE - Should I wait until I have Experience?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by smb81, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I graduated in Geography two years ago and have since been working in a variety of jobs (admin in a school and now a business programme for a not for profit organisation). I want to apply for a secondary PGCE starting in September. I have two main questions:
    1. I have experience in secondary education but it has all either been abroad (South Africa) or in private schools and I don't think this really counts. Due to my job, with which I get some limitted time in schools, I have not been able to take time off to do state observation. I hope to be able to do so in February for a couple of weeks and have schools lined up to help me do so. Should I wait untl I have done this to apply or do you think saying I have it sorted will be enough??? I don't want to miss out becasue my application is in later you see.
    2. Related - how late (realistically) can I apply for quite competitive universities? I know people just say "as soon as possible" but does anyone have any experience of what the dates of courses filling up may be?
    Also - i'm guessing my reference has to be from someone at my uni? Everyone I dealt with closely there has left and anyone I ask is not really going to be able to give that good a picture of me. Is that just tough luck?
    Sorry if these have been covered elsewhere - I've read the 'official lines' but was just wondering if anyone had any personal insight that might help.
    CHEERS,
    Sarah

2. Hi,
    I graduated in Geography two years ago and have since been working in a variety of jobs (admin in a school and now a business programme for a not for profit organisation). I want to apply for a secondary PGCE starting in September. I have two main questions:
    1. I have experience in secondary education but it has all either been abroad (South Africa) or in private schools and I don't think this really counts. Due to my job, with which I get some limitted time in schools, I have not been able to take time off to do state observation. I hope to be able to do so in February for a couple of weeks and have schools lined up to help me do so. Should I wait untl I have done this to apply or do you think saying I have it sorted will be enough??? I don't want to miss out becasue my application is in later you see.
    2. Related - how late (realistically) can I apply for quite competitive universities? I know people just say "as soon as possible" but does anyone have any experience of what the dates of courses filling up may be?
    Also - i'm guessing my reference has to be from someone at my uni? Everyone I dealt with closely there has left and anyone I ask is not really going to be able to give that good a picture of me. Is that just tough luck?
    Sorry if these have been covered elsewhere - I've read the 'official lines' but was just wondering if anyone had any personal insight that might help.
    CHEERS,
    Sarah

3. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

In answer to your first question, about whether to apply now; yes, yes and thrice YES. My first year of application (for 2010 entry) I applied in January and the course was full within a week. I was the same as you, waiting to get experience before applying. So yes, apply and say you are persuing it.
    For your second question- I already answered! They fill up insanely quickly. All I can say is that if you just have to reapply next year it isn't the end of the world. Heck, this is my 3rd year of applications, I just have to keep trying because this is all I want to do and someone will see that and recognise it eventually.
    I think your referee has to be from your uni if within 5 years of graduating. It might be worth tracking down your previous tutors in their new posts? Quick quick! It takes a while to pin them down and you need to act fast.
    Good luck and don't give up!