1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary PGCE interview - what to expect?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ElDev, May 25, 2020.

1. ElDev

ElDev New commenter

Three interviews lined up, my first choice next week, what can I expect and what should I avoid doing if I want to get on the course? I've typed up a word document with potential questions I may be asked, with answers relating to things such as pedagogy, the Sutton Trust report, and Teaching Standards, and just my own ideas and experiences as a pupil in regards to what makes a good lesson. I've not had any classroom experience although I was planning on gaining some before the COVID-19 outbreak (I mentioned this in my application)

Also my first choice Uni wants me to discuss a concept from the KS3 curriculum and explain how I would teach this to a class. As it's secondary English the interview has applied for, would I be okay to pick piece of literature or does it have to be something mentioned on the curriculum?

MrMedia likes this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It said concept rather than text? Well, then talk about the concept of reader response or historical and social context or one of the other AOs like close textual analysis. I am a PG English tutor and you sound great so be confident.

What is making you choose one provider over another? Before you’ve even received their presentations? For me, it’s a bit like The Voice. If they are good I turn my chair, but then I want them to choose my course. So I’m interested to know what made you choose this provider as your first choice.

3. ybadat

ybadat New commenter

They want to see your passion for teaching young people and that you can reflect on your own practice. I can see clearly that you obviously care about doing a PGCE as you are doing lots of preparation work. They are not expecting you to already be a fully-fledged teacher, that is the purpose of doing ITT. Good luck, you'll be great! :)
    P.S I would highly recommend #edutwitter (on Twitter) as there are so many excellent teachers sharing good practice.