1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary PGCE at University of Leicester 2012/2013

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by casperino, Jan 11, 2012.

1. casperino

casperino New commenter

I was just wondering if anyone had been offered a place on the secondary PGCE at the University of Leicester for September 2012 start? I was sent a 'provisional' offer for the English PGCE just before Christmas. Wanted to make contact and say 'hi' - and find out if anyone's heard if their places are confirmed or not yet!

2. casperino

casperino New commenter

I was just wondering if anyone had been offered a place on the secondary PGCE at the University of Leicester for September 2012 start? I was sent a 'provisional' offer for the English PGCE just before Christmas. Wanted to make contact and say 'hi' - and find out if anyone's heard if their places are confirmed or not yet!

3. Hi, I'm in exactly the same position! Leicester offered me a provisional place for Secondary History and emailed to say they would be in touch at the start of this term, still waiting!

4. Hey, I have been given an unconditional offer from Leicester for Secondary Social Science, have you heard back about your places?

5. casperino

casperino New commenter

I got a letter around mid-January confirming my place and asking me to fill out a CRB and return two passport pictures. At the bottom of that letter it said that the offer is subject to availability of sufficient school placements. But it also said that I should receive more information in 'late Spring' when everything's been confirmed...

6. casperino

casperino New commenter

To be honest I can't remember what I put - I'm fairly certain that I put just the year! I'm not local to Leicester at the moment, but I'm planning to move up before hand. I'm going to be living in private accommodation, with a relative actually. I know a couple of people looking at student accommodation, just because it's easier and everything's 'all in' so they won't have to stress about it while they're studying.

7. casperino

casperino New commenter

I can't drive currently but I'm learning - just passed my theory test actually and I have got my practical arranged for June. So I should be able to drive by the time I start. Having read a lot of comments on here I've come to conclusion it would probably be easiest to get a car, especially as the placements could be as far away as Peterborough or Northampton, and there's no guarantee that the schools will be anywhere near public transport.

8. I was told that the unis generally asks if you have a car to get to placements so they know where they can kind of place you; I didn't know the placements could be as far a Peterborough though, that seems a long commute time. I am just debating the cost of buying a car, petrol and insurance and the fact the uni accommodation doesn't have much car parking with it too. Hopefully the details they send in late spring will be a bit more helpful

9. casperino

casperino New commenter

When I went for my interview they said that they could be as far North as Ashby-de-la-Zouch, as far East as Peterborough, as far South as Northampton and as far West as Coventry. I've seen some people commenting that when they put down they had a car they got placed miles away, and that some people say they can't drive to get around that. To be honest it doesn't bother me much either way! A placement is a placement!

I know what you mean about university accommodation though - some accommodation doesn't have any! But I did my undergrad study in Leicester and I think you could probably find somewhere to keep it that didn't cost the earth/anything at all.

You can get some fairly decent cars for around £1500. I'm personally looking at Peugeot 206's because they have reasonable tax/insurance, etc. and a decent MPG which means that petrol hopefully will be reasonable. They're also pretty reliable.

10. Just thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one for people starting at Leicester in September. Hopefully this way more people will find it. :)
    An email I had recently said that there are 21 of us on the MFL course, but I've only found one other person online so far...
    I'm also a bit worried about how far away I'll end up on placement, since I have a car. I'm going to be commuting from Derby, so already doing a fair mileage for the university parts of the course. But they did say that they bear geography in mind when organising placements, it's just not their main concern.