1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Nurture Group

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by langywangy, Jun 24, 2018.

1. langywangy

langywangy New commenter

Hello! Anyone here set up a nurture group? I am starting one in September. I've bought some books to research and have now written a school policy, booklets for parents and have a rough idea of what I will cover in September but just wondered if anyone has any tips or pointers they have picked up? I am very excited to get stuck in!

Noddytoys likes this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have heard great things about nurture groups . Believe that they are expensive models to run ? Hopefully you will have a bit more than a ‘rough idea ‘of what you want to achieve though ? ! Good Luck

Noddytoys likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I've taught Year 7 groups half their timetable as part of this sort of approach.
    Worked well, minimal cost.
    The biggest plus for me was that it helped stop the potentially "naughty boys" getting away with all sorts of carp behaviour for weeks or months before getting picked up and dealt with. I've seen that be a problem so often as they realise that with ten different teachers they can suddenly get away with behaviour that their one Year 6 teacher would never have put up with for even five minutes or break time.

sabrinakat, strawbs and phlogiston like this.
  4. Noddytoys

Noddytoys New commenter

Hi I have just recently set up a Nurture room. Nice to hear from other who have already set one up in a secondary setting, all the resources I have read seem to be aimed at primary level. I have followed the advice but find a lot of the ideas are just too babyish for teenage kids. I find that they have no or little interest in breakfast but do enjoy the routine. Also finding that my biggest issue is trying to get the kids out of the room throughout the day, they seem to have decided that if they refuse to go to class then they will be sent to the nurture room where they will find relaxed staff and fun activities set up for them and comfy couch environment. Id prefer them to be in the room than wondering round the school but struggling to encourage them back to class, doesn't seem to be working. Any advice would be greatly received. It's a steep learning curve for us all.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Is this like a Wellbeing room?

6. Noddytoys

Noddytoys New commenter

Yes I think it is similar to a well being room, I like that phrase for it as the nurture room seems very primary.

7. askaloser

askaloser New commenter

you haven't stated which age the nurture group is aimed at. I have worked with nurture groups in years 7,8,9,10 and 11.
    The demands of KS3 are very different than those in KS4, but some similarities do exist.
    The biggest hurdle you will have is defining the group. For many staff it will be seen more as a sink group with the opportunity of "suggesting" candidates for your class that certain staff do not wish to teach.
    Is the nurture group intention to improve behaviour or to improve academic standing. What are the entry requirements you have placed on the composition of the group and will the parents be involved in the interviewing stage ( they MUST be). It is also important to have a member of SMT as the close line manager who you have regular discussions with in the early stages. Will the students have a 100% alternative curriculum or will they be removed from specific lessons. Will you have the students en block and a specific curriculum or will you "water down" the set curriculum. How will the students be re-integrated? Will you have an LSA assistant both in your work with them and to support any re-integration.
    There will also be a need for you to consider the status of the group within the school. Unfortunately the ethos with many schools is that any student not achieving a 3 at GCSE has "failed" the exam. You will have to work very hard at changing that attitude.
    Do not hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss the setting up and running of the group. Your enthusiasm will take you a long way

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Create a 'nurture room', get babies. The clue is in the name.

9. Noddytoys

Noddytoys New commenter

10. Noddytoys

Noddytoys New commenter

Thanks for your support. I believe all your questions need to be answered. The room at present has no clear patheay for any pupils. I think we need to get back to drawing board and set clear intentions. Its a bit if a pilot just now .

11. Noddytoys

Noddytoys New commenter

12. Noddytoys

Noddytoys New commenter

Thanks very helpful post !

13. CarolWoodrow

CarolWoodrow New commenter

Hi there, I have been running a secondary nurture group for the last 3 years. It is not a cotton wool group and neither is it a group for naughty kids. Rather it is aimed at students with low literacy who might also have low self esteem, no or limited boundaries, or slow processing. I take the humanities and english curriculum and tackle it through games, ks2 literacy (spag etc becuase thats how low their levels are), I have them for about a third of their timetable all year and run a transition into full classes in the summer term. It works brilliantly for allowing those students who are not secondary ready time to adapt and develop. As with all nurture goups we meet them at their developmental level and only move onto the next stage when they are ready. Patience and clear routines helps.

sony72 and Dodros like this.
  14. SEG2

SEG2 New commenter

Hi Carol,

I have bee asked to run the Humanities nurture group for Y7 this year and really want to avoid making it babyish for them. Any advice you could offer would be most helpful.

Thanks