1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

secondary music question about choir

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by jonowen, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Is there any other music teacher reading this who has any ideas how I can enthuse my (new)choir? We had a 16 strong group in 2007-summer 2009 and then the other teacher who worked along side me retired so we stopped for a bit. I thought to revive it for Christmas would work and while individuals say yes they will come back, they don't turn up. I know there are so many things on offer and I don't blame them for choosing other activities (or to go home on these cold, dark nights). I have said that the music dept (i.e. me!) will do a Christmas concert and had to have the new choir's debut, but with only 5 pupils at the last 2 practices I feel like giving up.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

2. jonowen

(Apologies for typos in OP!)
    Is there any other music teacher reading this who has any ideas how I can enthuse my (new)choir? We had a 16 strong group in 2007-summer 2009 and then the other teacher who worked along side me retired so we stopped for a bit. I thought to revive it for Christmas would work and while individuals say yes they will come back, they don't turn up. I know there are so many things on offer and I don't blame them for choosing other activities (or to go home on these cold, dark nights). I have said that the music dept (i.e. me!) will do a Christmas concert and had hoped to have the new choir's debut at that (17th Dec - 4 weeks today!), but with only 5 pupils at the last 2 practices I feel like giving up.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

3. I'm actually in the same position. In my school we have difficulty keeping any pupils for a long period in time. I currently have a junior choir of 6 first years and no second years at all.
    I think it may be down to music selection, but I am not going to down the route of doing Xfactor songs, which is what some of the pupils who have not come back want to sing.
    Last year I decided to do a Capercaillie song with guitars and drums and to an extent that worked, but again was saved by my SQA 3rd year class. This worked because I played them the cd of it and kept harassing them to come really.
    I'll be interested to see any responses you get.

4. jonowen

Thanks carmusic! I have a brilliant S5/6 class who will save this concert, the string instructor will hopefully provide a string group who will perform (but due to illness they havn't started rehearsing yet) and I can maybe persuade a few younger ones to do solos. My plan was to have each year group do an arrangement, then those who were able to could appear in the concert. That didn't work as some of my S1s + 2s could practice for months and still not be ready - they are so lethargic.
    With CfE et al dumbing down music (and SQA watering it down and expecting us to teach at a mediocre level) I feel I am constantly swimmimg against the tide.
    "I'll be interested to see any responses you get." - me too!!

5. We're in the middle of looking at possibilities for timetabling for next year and I think music will be dumbed down even further if the options are anything to go by. Just now in S1&2 we get the pupils for 3 periods (50mins) a week for 8 weeks then not at all for 8 weeks (our rotation). In the proposals it looks like we will probably have the same rota, but the pupils for only 1 period each week! What do they think we can teach in that amount of time???????
    Monday morning moan over - time for some positive thinking - I'll try anyway!

6. If you're stuck for music selections xfactor is an easy option if not a bit painful on the ears. however glee is doing some really good arrangements of old and new songs. they're music sheets are available in SATB and SSA from www.musicroom.com or any other music website. Keep your enthusiasm and the kids will continue to come

7. Good day. I am also looking for ideas this coming holiday season. I am thinking of conduting a Christmas Cantata but like your situation back then, I am also lacking in number to those who really wants to participate.