1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Maths??

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by stuartwithau, Apr 24, 2011.

1. The job situation in South Wales is a bit like 'dead man's shoes'. We advertised a post to cover maternity leave last month and we had 68 applicants! I gather that it is not like that in other parts of the country where they would be pleased just to have had an applicant.

2. Sorry - can't help with anything South Wales specific, but in England there are huge numbers of vacancies in certain areas and at certain times of the year.
    If you will be restricting yourself to a specific area of the country then you may have less choice so it will depend on your mobility. And presumably things might well change within the next three or four years while you do your degree course?

3. And there was me thinking you had to be a graduate to join the Graduate Teacher Programme :) Did they subsume the RTP into the GTP or something? Was slightly intrigued how you were going to persuade the OU to let you do 180 points a year!

4. No, GTP providers state to apply you have to have a degree. Everything in life can be manipulated and I am aware of two people who will finish their GTP before having over 240 points, fact.
    The OU thing too...they can be manipulated as soon as the cash comes out.
    Everything is not as it seems when you start pushing as right or wrong as it may be

5. And, just to add balance, I know of at least three GTP providers who will NOT budge on the degree requirement. I know of one other who will allow you to reply if you have 300 points, but with the understanding that you bank the remaining points before the middle of the academic year of the GTP.
    PS - this is not how I got on. I got my degree 10+years ago ... don't ask me what in though! ;)

6. I would say this to you:

You must make a decision whether the debt incurred by going to University is worthwhile. I returned to University at a little older than you and it was the best thing I've ever done. I enjoyed my time there immensely. It all depends on whether you can afford to accrue a debt that you'll be paying off for years.

If you are single with no family ties (wife or children or dependent other) then I'd say take the University route. You'll not regret it.