1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Maths Strathclyde

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by lunalovegood84, Mar 31, 2011.

1. That must be annoying. A friend of mine had her interview at Strathclyde for Maths in April last year and was rejected, but she still managed to get a place at Aberdeen. Have you applied to UWS? They don't use GTTR so you could apply there at the same time as Strathclyde, if you haven't already.
    I also applied to Secondary Maths at
    Strathclyde in Feb., heard nothing at all for a few weeks and then
    discovered that Glasgow had reopened for Maths (it would have been my
    first choice but it had said No Vacancies when I sent in my form). I
    withdrew from Strathclyde and applied to Glasgow on 14th March, and had my interview on
    Tues this week! I'm waiting for the result, but they have 16 confirmed for the course and only a few places left - having said that, there were only two of us being interviewed for Maths that day.

2. You think it is "unprofessional" that at a time of school visiting to the present crop of PGDE students and over what is for everyone else an Easter holiday, and at a time when the tutors have around 1300 assignments to mark, they don't have the time to jump to attention and attend to your application form within only 8 weeks of you submitting it?
    Be careful how you bandy around the word "unprofessional": some might find it "unprofessional" that you didn't apply for teaching when applications opened in the autumn. How keen can you be when you wait six month to apply?
    And yes, the university does know how the application system works: but when applicants constantly telephone to demand special attention, they may well find themselves pointed towards another institution.
    I find your arrogance astonishing. You want a place at Strathclyde, and yet are quite happy to criticise them so unfairly and so publicly before you've even had an interview. You are in the system, you will be dealt with when it is feasible to do so - be thankful and good luck if you do get an interview: perhaps you will then be brave enough to tell the tutors interviewing you how unprofessional you think they are to their faces.

3. Yes it is unprofessional, they should have organised their time better. We have been told it is 4 weeks max to expect a reply, we have paid for this service, they should expect to deliver on time. After all this is done there will be no places left elsewhere.

I did apply in autumn, Strathclyde is not my first choice.

4. The whole system is delayed this year, due to the government not releasing figures of how many places there were for courses at each university. So just bare with them, they probably still have a massive backlog of people to deal with.

5. If there was a bear with them they may get things done faster!

I regret whinging, just very frustrated.

6. As I teach on the Strathclyde PGDE course, would you like me to pass on to my colleagues in Maths that you think they are "unprofessional" because they haven't put your individual application ahead of the school visiting and assessments they have to do rather than deal with applications in batches,as they always are? Would you like me to tell them that you would actually prefer to go to another university? And what would you like me to say to them when they point out that criticising named professional colleagues on a public forum is about as unprofessional as you can get?

7. As I said im just frustrated about the lack of communication. I'm going through a traumatic moment in my life and was feeling depressed and frustrated, I wish I hadn't done this.

I apologise for any offence caused.

8. Apology accepted. But please learn the lesson that when you post a criticism of people who are about to interview you on a public forum, calling them "unprofessional", you run the risk that some of them - or their colleagues - may read your comments, especially if you post it in such a way that they can be easily identified.
    What if you ever become a teacher and, at another time in your life when you are feeling "depressed and frustrated", you post a similar comment about colleagues or, worse, pupils who can be identified? You need to think carefully about what the word "professionalism" really means: a delay in dealing with one application form amongst thousands is not "unprofessional", while criticising identifiable hard working people who are doing their best while remaining anonymous most certainly is.