1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Maths PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by skittlesftw, Jan 12, 2010.

1. There doesn't seem to be too many threads on Secondary Maths applicants, so i thought I would make one.
    Has anyone had their interviews yet? Any tips?
    I have an interview at Cambridge on the 26th, still waiting on the letter though.
    Good luck to those applying.

2. I had an interview at Anglia Ruskin for Secondary Maths in December. Have you tried phoning the uni for details of the interview - only asking as my letter hadn't come through when I saw it on track and we had to do a presentation as part of the interview.
    The maths and english tests were the same for all PGCE candidates and were fairly simple - although if you haven't done maths for a while brush up on your GCSE maths. I'd also read up on the National Curriculum and general education news - but remember none of it is that hard.
    It will also help to be able to give "real-life" uses for most mathematical practices as it is all hands-on practical now - so if you can give examples of where you need geometry, algebra etc it might well swing it for you.
    Good luck and please ask if there's anything else I can help with.
    p.s. I got on my course for next September

3. I have an upcoming PGCE interview for secondary Maths at Sheffield Hallam. I have not done Maths for a while so an umsure of what level I need for the interview?
    I think it is pretty unlikely that the Maths content at interview would exceed GCSE level. Is this generally the case for all secondary PGCE interviews?