1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary maths PGCE overload

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lucye, Nov 16, 2018.

1. lucye

lucye New commenter

My daughter-in-law in law is doing a PGCE in a large secondary school. Her Mentor gives her a days notice to prepare 4 to 5 lesson plans in different year groups for the following day. She has to prepare individual Maths lesson plans for each lesson. She is on her knees up until midnight every night working. Her feedback is quite critical and her health is starting to suffer. I feel she is being used like a Supply Teacher.
    I have told her to complain but she doesn’t want to rock the boat. I did a PGCE years ago which was University based and a very different experience. Please advise.

2. SamGBr

SamGBr New commenter

It really is pot luck with the mentor you get - some are great and some are damn awful! Is there any chance of the PGCE allowing her to change placement school?

3. imaginarynumbers

imaginarynumbers New commenter

She should speak to her university link tutor. They should be able to help her/ liaise with her mentor. Mentors often don't get extra time for this responsibility, so although it is a great thing to do, also brings extra stress. The mentor might not realise how stressed out your daughter in law is, so it's crucial she talks to the link tutor or the head of department if they are not her mentor.
    Assuming this is her first placement, it sounds like she might have too large a timetable, though she should be able to check this in the course handbook.
    Hope she manages to talk it through with someone at college or the school.
    If she wants to talk it through more she can PM me.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Whatever the training route it should be a planned, supportive programme. The danger with school based programmes is that the fact that it is a training situation can be neglected or forgotten. A days notice is not acceptable and your daughter should raise her concerns with her tutors as soon as possible.