1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Maths GTP interview

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by gko3, Feb 23, 2012.

1. I am new to this forum, but would really appreciate some advice.
    I have an interview in two weeks for a gtp in secondary maths and was looking for advice on the 10min presentation I have to do. I am a chartered civil engineer so was thinking of putting a construction slant on a maths topic but I don't want to 'miss the point' as I'm not sure what they will be looking for.

There is also a subject test, has anyone had one in maths? Obviously I'm studying hard on ks4 and a-level but have no real idea what to expect.

I'd love some advice as this really means the world to me!
    Thanks for reading.
    Gill

2. gtpmaths1

gtpmaths1 New commenter

Hi Gill. I'm currently on the secondary mathematics gtp and also come from a civil engineering background. I had the subject test last year, it only went up to ks4 level, and there was a significant focus on number and algebra skills. As long as your maths is of a good standard i wouldn't worry greatly about it - any areas of weakness (as long as there aren't too many of them) will be identified as areas for development as a trainee teacher. It is expected that you won't know it all.
    As for your presentation. I did not have to do one of these for my gtp interview, but had to teach three lessons for my school placement interview. During the feedback session, I was told that the purpose of these sessions is not really what you deliver (i.e. content), but your manner - whether you are able to communiate, explain ideas appropriately and stand in front of a group of people confidently(ish). What I'm trying to say is don't focus too intently on what you will cover in your presentation, just try and make sure it is enagaging and gets the panel thinking. The construction slant sounds good as functional mathematics is big now and I tend to use many practical application ideas in the lesson I currently teach.
    All the best with your interview - hope you get the place, but be prepared for a challenging year!

3. Thank you so much for your response. I feel a little less stressed about it now, I'm just so excited about the potential of becoming a Maths Teacher that I don't want to slip-up. I volunteer one day a week and I absolutely love working with the kids and I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoy doing maths. (I spend about two hours a day on www.mymaths.co.uk every day!).

4. gtpmaths1

gtpmaths1 New commenter

Any update on the GTP?
    I know it has been ages, but this is the first time I've drawn breath since February!