1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Maths Classroom Displays

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by davocon, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Hi

Am moving to a classroom with good opportunities to do some displays but am struggling for ideas of what to display. Anyone have any good ideas for displays in a Secondary Maths classroom - can only find things for Key Stage 1 or 2 online. Help!

2. Hi

Am moving to a classroom with good opportunities to do some displays but am struggling for ideas of what to display. Anyone have any good ideas for displays in a Secondary Maths classroom - can only find things for Key Stage 1 or 2 online. Help!

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

4. What about some posters about the Numbers series? What other shows use maths? You also often see optical illusions.

You do find that the displays in the maths rooms are the worst.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Many pupils in KS3 still need some of the things that you might have written off as KS2!

www.instantdisplay.co.uk has good things that I use in my KS2/3 Maths classroom

I sell some stuff on www.trinityeducational.co.uk that is suitable.

www.andrewjeffrey.co.uk has an e-book on maths displays

Things I have include, many from instant display...

Big BIDMAS letters - one to an A4 page
    Names and properties of 3D shapes (think this was instant display)
    How to find area and perimter of 2D shapes (instant display)
    Tables Tricks
    Level posters (from emaths)
    Weights (instant display)
    Lengths (instant display)
    Definitions of averages
    Numbers to 20 in both French and German (from TES resource bank)
    Number line (from TROL)
    Multiplication Square
    FDP (instant display)
    Did you check your work (instant display)

Plus each year group has a board with a big poster and keywords round the sides, posters from daydream, this changes every topic.

Also a PSHE board for my tutor group and 2 other changing boards, currently having differnt strategies display on one, and one on presentation on the other, with a big worked exemplar that is annotated with labels round the side.

6. Enlargement HWK on A4, SF2, from a point, of any shape of your choice - this created some good display work - pupils chose a wide range of surprising shapes including guitar, plane etc. Another quick display idea is to use A5 paper and felt tips, to give examples of an aspect of recent work eg: Write the first five terms in a sequence and give the rule for your sequence. I would love more ideas for pupil work which makes good displays - where there are good different outcomes in response to same stimulus.

7. Looking around my room I can see the following.
    1. History of Mathematics Timeline (that I got off the internet somewhere) it has interesting dates and pictures.
    2. A big world map surrounded by quotes from famous mathematicians. Each quote has a line matching it to where the mathematician lives. The heading is 'mathematics the international language'. I just got a free world map from a magazine and then printed out the quotes on coloured paper.
    3. Samples of student work. I have 3D drawings, posters the made on calculating percentage, posters made on enlargement. My colleague has loads of really good trig stuff on his walls. An idea is to get kids to do stuff each year and laminate the best work and then you get a good collection.
    4. Maths jokes (well I think they're funny!) and samples of really stupid student work from the internet.
    5. A giant coloured number line where the numbers are threaded on string and hung across the top of my board (I find this really handy to have).
    6. Various pieces of informatio pertaining to exams and calculators.

And it is all in bright cheerful colours...I like my room.

8. madoldbat

madoldbat New commenter

9. Starting to come together now! Any other brilliant ideas?

10. Nehalannia

Nehalannia New commenter

i have a 'working wall', where i have a few questions printed out on brightly coloured A4 paper, and lots of numbers around the edge of the display board. The pupils use the numbers to answer the questions, and write their answer, complete with workings, onto a piece of coloured paper, which i staple up by the question.

Google 'working wall' for better description and pictures.