1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Interview at MMU

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jdjeffery1, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Hi all.
    I'm brand new here and have an interview for MFL (German & Spanish) at MMU in 3 weeks. I'm having a lot of trouble finding stuff on the net that I can read, to help me prepare. I'll quote the following from the info pack they sent me:
    During the interview you will have the ooportunity to:
    • Relate the subject content of your education to the role of a secondary school teacher.
    • Discuss your relevant experience e.g. voluntary or paid work, lesson observations, youth work etc.
    • Give an account of your knowledge of the National Curriculum and what your chosen subject has to offer learners
    • Communicate effectively your insights into teaching and learning
    • Share views about the qualities of a good teacher
    • Discuss how you might teach a topic from your chosen subject area
    • Discuss principles of inclusion in education
    The italicised points are ones that I have some vague idea of how to answer, but I'm really stuck on the others. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, John.

2. maa09

maa09 New commenter

I think the thing about subject content of your education might be for people who have a degree in a different subject from the one which they are applying to train to teach eg someone with a Law degree who wants to teach English. If you have degree in German & Spanish then this is not the case for you. However I recommend that you flag up any French you have studied and other commonly taught languages that you have learnt. French would be very useful for jobs as it is still the most commonly taught language in most UK areas. Please note all of this advice may be a bit spurious as I am a secondary teacher and not working in the university sector !

3. Hi
    I did my PGCE at MMU a few years ago, so can't remember too much about the interview itself.
    Regarding inclusion you might want to look at the articles about Special Educational Needs (SEN), gifted and talented, or students with EAL (English as an additional language) and have athink about what sort of things you might do to make sure all students can access the curriculum and are challenged. There should be plenty of articles about this, maybe take a look at the CILT website?
    You should also find some ideas on there about different projects in langauge teaching, which should give you ideas about how you would teach a different topic area.
    Hope that helps
    Feel free to message me if you want any more specific advice about interview at MMU
    Sarah