1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary head of year, pay and free time query

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by calamityjane2, Jun 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. calamityjane2

calamityjane2 New commenter

Hi everyone, I'm wondering what other schools pay their heads of years, and how many non-contact hours, over and above "legal" PPA time they get? Would you mind sharing? For comparison, my school has 180 kids in a year group and two joint heads of year, one teaching 19/25 periods (classroom teachers teach 21/25) and one non-teaching. The teacher gets 2b TLR. How does this compare?

2. canarybob

canarybob New commenter

My school has around 200 in a year group, there is one heads of year per year group that teaches 19/25 and is paid around TLR 2c.

mpenny87 likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I suppose it depends on the expectations for the role, which will vary from school to school. Having a non-teacher in the joint role means that they are better placed to deal with issues and see parents during lesson time, so the load on the teacher may be reduced.