1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary Handwriting

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Baccarolle, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hi Stacey, It's lovely to hear of a school taking handwriting so seriously. I am passionate about good handwriting and a quick search on bing came up with this: http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Your-Handwriting
    There is some good advice here. I often hear Y8s complain that writing hurts their hands/arms so the advice about practising in the air first seems worth trying.

2. Hi,
    I run a handwriting group with Year 7, 8 and 9. I have found the best way to get any sort of improvement is to forget about getting them to copy out patterns etc and instead encourage them to look at what they are producing and how they can improve it. One week we will look at their seating postion, how they hold a pen etc. Another week we will try all sorts of pens to see which one they prefer. We then look at other aspects such as letter spacing, writing on the line etc but it is very much about making them take repsonsibility for how their handwriting looks. It's very hard, by this age to get them to change their style of writing but we normally see improvements.
    Hope that gives you some help.

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Whoops! A bit late at night for me........'their name.'