1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary GTP Interview - overwhelmed with information!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by clearingout, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have a GTP interview at the beginning of May and am overwhelmed with information available. I just don't know where to start. My subject area will be MFL.

I am assuming questions along the following lines need to be prepared for:
    - why I want to teach/why the GTP rather than PGCE/what can I bring to teaching
    - what makes a good teacher
    - why teach languages? why my particular language?
    - opinions on discipline/how to manage poor behaviour/class room management
    - demonstrate some knowledge of the curriculum in MFL and current Frameworks
    - have an opinion on the English baccaluareate (sp?!!)
    - describe what experience I have had in schools and with young people (and as I have quite a bit of experience in youth work, I'm assuming perhaps be prepared to say why I'm choosing the more formal route over the informal route of working with young people?)
    - what have I learnt during school experience and how does this differ to my previous experience (I taught my subject for 3 years in a high school abroad some 15 years ago now and there are obvious differences in terms of advances in technology...)

What else? I am assuming I need opinions on 'current educational issues' but I'm struggling to understand what these might be! What about 'equal opportunities/inclusive education (this seems to be more of a primary'thing'?) and do I therefore need to have read up on Special Needs? Do I need to have an opinion on teaching assistants?

At the point where I'm asked 'do you have any questions', is there anything that I should say? I do have some questions, obviously, but is there anything here that might be looked for?

I could really do to succeed at this interview so any pointers very much welcomed! thanks

2. <font size="2">HI</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">I was accepted onto a GTP with Derby Uni for Secondary English last month, and had interviews with Derby, Notts and Sheff Hallam... So I know what you mean about info overload. Where is yor interview? It seems quite late, as all my interviews were in Feb/March.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">I think the questions you are preparing for are all good, and most are ones that I was asked. I was also asked 'what makes a poor teacher?' and 'what would you do on the GTP if you and you mentor had differing opinions about an issue?' (which was a toughie!)</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Current issues in education... I studied up on the Baccalaureate, Rose report, Academies, White paper, and anything being bandied about by Michael Gove. But don't try to remember too mane details or you'll bamboozle yourself :) I wasn't asked anything specific about SEN or TAs at any interview. I do think your idea of inclusion would be relevant too, and not just at Primary... think about those Secondary students who are on the border of permanent exclusion, or are who have SEN and are struggling in mainstream classes with mixing with a whole new way of life at Secondary school.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">There are quite a few threads on here with GTP interview guidance... the main theing to remember is that they are looking for people who want to train as teachers, not the finished product, so don't be afraid of not knowing everythign about everything. </font><font size="2">A good question to ask at the end... 'What can/could I be doing over the summer to prepare?' but other than that just general questions about the course etc.</font><font size="2"> </font> <font size="2">Hope that helps! Just try not to be too nervous or over-prepared, and just be yourself. (Unless yourself is an idiot). :-D </font>

3. Thanks for that. I hope I'm not an idiot - but you never know!!!

The interview is in Lancashire - I think they did a second round of applications in shortage areas. It has all been a bit of a whirlwind as I actually made an enquiry for next year, attached a CV for information and they sent me back an application form with a tight deadline and said I could still make it this year if I gave it a shot. So here I am!

Rose report. That's a new one on me. I'll add it to the (very growing) list!

4. Oh right, that's good then - and should mean they like the look of you already which can only be a good thing.

Rose Report is mainly about Primary so you don't need to know specific details, but it might be a good thing to throw into the mix if you have to talk about government strategies / initiatives etc.

Good luck with it - if there's anything else you are unsure about just ask (and hopefully I'll be able to help!)