1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary English Interview - help please!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Annie12345, May 4, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    I've just received a call out of the blue, offering me an interview for a PGCE secondary place. I'm assuming I was on the provider's waiting list and that someone has dropped out due to the loss of the training bursary.
    I have very little time to prepare (I got the call yesterday and my interview's a week on Friday!). If anyone out there has any PGCE English interview tips, I'd love to hear about your experiences. I was told to expect a textual analysis but have no information other than that!
    I've worked in Professional Services all of my life, so I'm very new to this!
    Thanks for your help!!!!
    A.

2. Hi everyone
    I've just received a call out of the blue, offering me an interview for a PGCE secondary place. I'm assuming I was on the provider's waiting list and that someone has dropped out due to the loss of the training bursary.
    I have very little time to prepare (I got the call yesterday and my interview's a week on Friday!). If anyone out there has any PGCE English interview tips, I'd love to hear about your experiences. I was told to expect a textual analysis but have no information other than that!
    I've worked in Professional Services all of my life, so I'm very new to this!
    Thanks for your help!!!!
    A.

3. fluffysparkles

fluffysparkles New commenter

You don't say where your interview is, sure thay're all a bit different but for Swansea Met I had a text analysis to write a response to. Everyone had it as an unseen piece, I approached it like any essay / assignment (linguistic features, context etc...) can't even remember who it was written by now! But must've done ok as I got a place! Also had to 'mark' a piece of work for grammar, spelling etc. I worried too but it was actually far less awful than I thought it would be...dare I say, I actually enjoyed it! :)
    Best of luck!

Libby

4. fluffysparkles

fluffysparkles New commenter

they're not thay're... obviously! Please don't judge my sp and gr! Not the best at typing sorry! :(

5. Hi there
    Thanks for the response. Your blog made very interesting reading. My situation is a bit unusual - I'm 42 and have worked in Banking all my life, so need a new challenge. I only completed my degree last year so applied to the GTTR quite late. As such, all my local providers filled up. I think I got put on the reserve list with this provider which is why I was called - I suspect she's had one or two drop outs due to the loss of the training bursary. I don't think I'll have a group session, because everyone else has already been interviewed and handed their place, but she did tell me to expect a textual analysis, so I'll be prepared for that. She reckoned I'd be there fore two and a half hours!!
    It's quite a strain as I only found out on Tuesday, and my interview's next week. Naturally, I haven't been preparing for an interview because everywhere was full and I knew I wouldn't get one, but now I have, I'm playing catch-up! I literally have one week to prepare! I have my head in a text book as we speak - it's been a couple of years since I've done any serious textual analysis - my degree was mainly language based!
    The very best of luck with your course - I'll let you know how I get on!
    A.

6. Hi Libby
    Yeah - not looking forward to the textual analysis - it's been a while since I did any at Uni - most of my degree was language based, although I recently taught poetry analysis to a group of year 7s on my work experience visit, so all of that is still fresh in my mind thankfully!
    I'm a last minute candidate (I think they've had one or two drop out) so I'm not expecting a group interview - just the written test and a one to one with the tutor.
    The best of luck with your course!
    Annie