1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary English Classroom- Ideas?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by soxy14, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hello everyone, I am going to be an NQT in secondary English 11-18 from September, and I have just found out that I have got my own classroom next year. I was just wondering what people's opinions of what I should prepare/ buy/ need/ hunt for my new classroom. I am told it will be a blank canvas. I have seen a couple of other threads, but the majority are based around primary classrooms. Thank you for your time and all ideas and opinions are very welcome!! Soxy

2. anonymousarty

anonymousarty New commenter

Until you get work to display, I would have a learning wall for each ks which had stuff on whatever topic you were on. I have the RAFs and WAFs on different colours backgrounds and things like PLASMA SCREEN, AFOREST RIPS and BUS STOP high up so the kids can use them for reference.

You could have a top tips section, where the kids put their helpful hints on post it and stick them on and you could have a "Proud Corner" where they write on post its anything they have done well.

Good luck!

3. I have a connectives board, a wonder wall board, an APP/AF board and the rest are dedicated to my classes.
    I know we're not meant to do displays, but I love doing them. I have a font fetish which makes doing dislays ten times longer than it should do!

4. pianopete

pianopete New commenter

I'm assuming PLASMA SCREEN, AFOREST RIPS and BUS STOP are mnemonics for something... I know there are a variety that go round in English - GO MASSIVE, PATBITES, APPLE etc but have never heard these three. What do they stand for?

5. Resurrecting this for this year- I've got three boards, plus one for my form; one has to be a literacy board and then one board for each key stage, I reckon (I have no KS5 this year)- trying to make sure they get used, rather than just being a pretty thing in the background. Already have an interactive punctuation display planned, and a word of the week (from vocabulary.com- they bamboozle me sometimes so should be a challenge!) Want to make sure it's useful to all levels.