1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary D&T ITT - Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by kateparish, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm due to start a 3yr BSc with QTS in September and I'm really going to need a laptop for my studies. However, I'm torn between a Mac and PC. I've always used windows - I'm used to the keyboard shortcuts, know where everything is etc but the design world is dominated by Macs. I work in a printers and we are probably one of the few companies who are windows based.
    Should I bite the bullet and get a Mac, ignoring my worries about change or would it not really be worth the extra money? Or should I go all out and get an iPad? Hmmmm really can't make my mind up.
    Any advice?
    Thanks, Kate
    PS. Macs are so pretty and shiny - I want one! [​IMG]

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm due to start a 3yr BSc with QTS in September and I'm really going to need a laptop for my studies. However, I'm torn between a Mac and PC. I've always used windows - I'm used to the keyboard shortcuts, know where everything is etc but the design world is dominated by Macs. I work in a printers and we are probably one of the few companies who are windows based.
    Should I bite the bullet and get a Mac, ignoring my worries about change or would it not really be worth the extra money? Or should I go all out and get an iPad? Hmmmm really can't make my mind up.
    Any advice?
    Thanks, Kate
    PS. Macs are so pretty and shiny - I want one! [​IMG]

3. The simply answer is PC.

First: If you are looking at using it for study purposes
    then most schools, uni’s etc will run windows for QTS and design technology
    stuff and therefore you will not have any issues with software/networks etc.
    There are ways around most software issues with macs (i.e. 2D design can be run
    on a program in the Mac OS) but why mess about.

Second: I challenged a friend to compare two laptops of the
    same cost. One Mac and one windows. The windows machine wiped the floor with
    the Mac every time (even on design software).

P.s A Mac will still get a virus or spyware. It s an urban
    legend that they don’t.

4. Thanks for that. I needed someone who knows what they're talking about to give me some advice, rather than a shop assistant looking for a sale. Thanks again, off to PC world I go!

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

PC and I'd look at 'Scan' personally where they custom make your PC for you.
    If you do buy a brand HP do education discounts. x

6. Mac- all the way!

Even though I have PC's in my classroom, all my work resources I produce on my Mac work perfectly as I use Microsoft office for mac. Also you are able to get an educational discount from the Mac store or online.

Mac V Pc

1. Mac's look much sleeker, PC's look wack!! (sorry I am very biased!!)
    2. They last much longer than PC's (I still have my G3 from my uni days and it still works but now I used a macbook pro)
    3. No virus's (no anti virus needed- yes you heard right!)
    4. Perfect for designing (run's adobe perfectly, never crashes!)
    5. Operating system is soooo much better (Lion OS looks amazing)

Invest in a Mac, you WON'T regret it!

7. littlemissraw

Disagree and disagree.
    My Mac died shortly after the warranty did. They said £300 to fix it and was only guarenteed for 90 days.
    My PC designs just as well as the Mac did and runs CS5 perfectly (and I'm a graphic designer).
    Ok so they look prettier but ignore the Mac/PC debate and just see what spec you get for your money.
    I'd strongly reccommend you avoid DELL though. xx

8. Macs are not sensible.
    They cost more.
    You need to buy a crappy PC conversion program like Fusion to run windows if you want to use cheapo rubbish school software like 2D Design Tools or ***/E.

However...none of that matters because macs are better.
    If you can afford one buy one.

They look fantastic.
    They work better.
    They DO last longer (you get what you pay for.)
    They don't slow down with age or fizzle out like all of my PC laptops have done.
    The software works better and faster than the PC equivalents.
    You don't get clogged up with viruses.
    Support from Apple is excellent, should you need it.
    I don't know ANYONE who has bought an Apple Mac and regretted it OR ever gone back to PC.
    Macs don't just look cool and give you street cred, although they do do that.
    They ARE the better product.
    The end!

9. You must be a mind reader cos this is what I was going to ask next. Thanks

10. Do you think Apple execs will read the promoting of their products and decide to kit my classroom out in iMac's and ipads, now wouldn't that be nice!!

11. Ooooh I really can't decide now, so many good points from everyone - definately some food for thought there. Think I'm going to have a lot of shopping around to do. Thanks for all your input everyone

12. re

re New commenter

doodle dt - 2D design is not 'cheapo rubbish school software'. It is an excelllent piece of educational software. OK, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of autocad but it serves a totally different purpose. It is simple to use at entry level and has some excellent features which is why it is a mainstay in most DT departments. It can be used to creative effect from Year 7 right through to Y13 - something that very few pieces of commercially orientated software can do.

13. finamar

finamar New commenter

If the schools you work in use a system such as SIMS for registers, monitoring, report writing etc I don't think you could run it on an Mac

14. Finamar- I use sims on my mac at home...though I do access it through the school's online web access...

15. re: it is cheap software that is why schools use it. If Photoshop or Illustrator was the same price 2D Design Tools wouldnt sell (except maybe to technophobes) 2D Design good to use with CAM (laser cutters) as it's simple. However in terms of a graphics package it is ridiculously limiting and extremely hard to produce any decent graphics on it because of its limited tools :)

16. I have recently made the leap from a windows PC to a MacBook Pro & ipad2, I also have a G4 which my school was getting rid of ( the G4 was the first Apple which was the catalyst for my conversion to OS X)
    I have to say the transition was effortless, Macs are so easy to use.
    Get the Mac, get the Mac. You will not regret it!
    Where are you studying? (Sheffield)

17. littlemissraw

Buy a cheap desktop PC and a Mac Mini - problem solved [​IMG]

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The PC/Mac debate will go on as long as computers exist. I've not seen any evidence that either is more reliable than the other, nor better to use. I prefer PCs because I grew up with them and learned how to tweak them whereas faced with sorting out some problematic Macs it was a nightmare trying to change the settings for anything. At the end of the day, so long as you have a machine you can use, does it matter?
    There was a very interesting series of programmes recently on BBC3 about how megabrands convince people to buy their goods over the competition. Secrets of the Megabrands I think it was called. I don't know whether any D&T teachers watched the series but if you missed it, I think it would be well worth your while trying to see if you can catch up somehow.
    Anyway, in the series they looked at the Apple marketing strategy which seems to be evangelical. Opening a new Apple store involves whipping staff and customers up into a frenzy before the store opens it's doors. If I hadn't seen it on film I would never have believed it. An absolutely mad way to invest in a product, and seeing how devoted some people become to the Apple brand of anything, I'd be extremely cautious about taking their advice on an impartial basis.

19. I'm off to Sheffield Hallam. 25 minute train ride for me and great workshops too - can't wait [​IMG]
    I'm going to pay a visit to an Apple shop and have a little test run. The tutorial videos I've watched on their website have made it less of a scary move - I can still right click and use shortcuts! That was what I was worried about the most. I think I could be a convert.