1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secondary and worried

Discussion in 'News' started by forum725, Jul 10, 2020.

1. forum725

forum725 New commenter

How do others feel about September?
    Although I want students to return to normality I feel very anxious about what I see as so many risks within our plans to return.
    Students changing classrooms at the same time (year groups in certain areas of building ‘mostly’ but all still out in corridors together so ‘bubbles’ a joke) and whilst teachers having to move around building to their next room so no doubt touching shoulders. How can we even try to keep 2m away as recommended? And not allowed a mask?
    Pressure from kids ‘please come over and help me’ and no doubt ‘because other teachers do’ (how can I see their Gcse work so far away?)
    Walking into classrooms where pc/equipment just used by previous teacher and told there will be no time for cleaners inbetween lessons.
    No temperature checks.
    Seems to contradict expectations across other workplaces and socially.
    Really why should I bother continuing wearing a mask when I’m in a shop?
    And on top of that school day will be longer, will also have to facilitate online learning and haven’t a clue how marking will work.
    Feeling negative which is not like me.

Marisha, ukpaul, Catgirl1964 and 3 others like this.
  2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

On the mask issue it will be even more important for you to wear one while shopping as it's there primarily to protect other people from you and schools are going to become one of the main sites of transmission.

3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

It’s a long way to September. They’re looking at the aerosol/mask issue now.

I expect movement here, unless the research throws up nothing.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  4. escape4hell

escape4hell New commenter

GL343 is the latest we have from CLEAPSS - now I would love to see how that will change in AUG!!
    This will have a serious impact on lab work for whole classes even if it is 1m+!!!

5. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

The research is already there. The problem has been conservatives in WHO clinging onto outdated expectations. Even now they just say that it may be an issue, the same with asymptomatic transmission.

I’m not sure if the realise or not how regimes around the world are using that as cover for doing as little as possible but that’s the result.

So. A classroom where teens (maybe a bit younger depending on lung capacity) are in an environment, close enough to each other to spread any virus by expelling droplets but, in any case, spreading aerosols throughout the whole space, moreso the longer they stay in that space. Yet, they are not wearing masks. Add onto that the asymptomatic transmission (likely more prevalent in the young, who show fewer symptoms) whereby the expectation that you ‘catch’ transmission before it happens becomes null and void and you have one mighty, massive centre of transmission.

They aren’t just working on assumptions from March, this is a response that could have been seen pre-WWII.

One of the benefits we have (apart from Scotland, who should be rightly concerned), is time. American schools back earlier (and, boy, you have to read what teachers there are saying, it’s pretty mutinous) and the far too slow wheels of PHE are going to be under increasing pressure to make changes.

The absolute minimum should be compulsory masks for all adults and children in a secondary school environment. This backed up by compulsory testing every few days for all, backed up by fully operational and comprehensive test, track, trace and isolate mechanisms. After that, then we can discuss split weeks, blended learning and so on as becomes necessary.

PeterQuint, Marisha and Catgirl1964 like this.
  6. rustycrayon

rustycrayon New commenter

Why are teachers not allowed to wear masks?! What if you are vulnerable? What about vulnerable students??

7. ukpaul

Apparently it 'gets in the way of teaching'. Not as much as you being in hospital for weeks would do, though.

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If you teach online, you don't need a mask. And in our area, most households have at least one adult who doesn't go out the house to work. You could keep school places just for the ones who can't be taught online at home. Sure, some kids won't do the work, but there's lots who don't work even in school,and at least they wouldn't be distracting everyone else. The councils are providing free laptops/wifi etc for the people who don't have this.
    Teaching in schools, where there's thousands of people, even in masks, would be far more dangerous. It also discriminates against people with hearing impairments.

agathamorse and lapso77 like this.
  9. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

September is some way off. If you recall the beginning of March when papers, TV etc were scarcely mentioning Covid -19 and then in a " gosh, those poor Italians -thank God we're okay" tone of voice -on March 20th, or thereabouts, we're in total shutdown. So, September is a way away. Some advice now will be laughed at then.
    In the 70s, it was widely suggested by the government that judicious usage of cardboard boxes and suitcases would protect you and your family in the event of a nuclear attack. This advice was considered the canine's reproductive organs by everyone.

[​IMG]

PamDemic and Andy13uk like this.
  10. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

It is alright to wear a face mask. Johnson was out in Uxbridge in his Tory Blue mask. Coming soon you will have to wear them in the shops

agathamorse likes this.
  11. lapso77

lapso77 New commenter

I am really worried. Our 'bubbles' will contain 300 students who don't need to social distance. We will however move between them all. Lower school will remain in form groups, no setting, so rooms will be more overcrowded than normal. They will all face the front. Our school is ridiculously overcrowded. I'm in my 50's and very scared

arby4, rustycrayon, ukpaul and 2 others like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

It’s important to put September and school to one side for the moment. Take care of YOU. Have the best Summer you can have in these circumstances. Feel no guilt, no emotional attachment to school; do not go in; and protect your health, both physical and mental.

Over thinking things is the downfall of far too many in my view. Keep as active as you can.

A day at a time ..

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Not by everyone.

It was and is just advice on how to keep you busy and the family less panicked whilst you died.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  14. deborah33

deborah33 New commenter

My middle schools idea though not confirmed yet....Tutor grp is bubble...so they stay in same classroom all day everyday. I have been asked to make my ICT/Comp Sci lessons no computer, so I imagine Art no paint Science no Lab, DT etc...and on. (unless its your tutor room) probably be staggered breaks? not sure so only teachers move...Is this gonna work any better than yours till Oct (yr 5,6,7,8 only)? I think this may harm my students mentally... thoughts?

15. ukpaul

'Protect and Survive'. It was at that point in my life that I realised government should never be listened to on matters of your own safety.

16. SarahHayes1

SarahHayes1 New commenter

I'm worried about what I can teach in Music and Daram with no singing, no group work, no practical and everyone facing the front. Any ideas?

17. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

You're just going to have to hand them each a ukulele and crack on. As for drama, I think I sense a production of Talking Heads in your future.

ACOYEAR8, SarahHayes1 and agathamorse like this.