1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Second Year ITE 'satisfactory' is anything but satisfactory for me :( depressed

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by abigailwheeler89, Feb 9, 2012.

1. abigailwheeler89

abigailwheeler89 New commenter

Hi everyone

I'm in my second year of my Primary ITE and have nearly completed my second placement. During my placement I have learnt so much, I've thoroughly enjoyed it and felt like I had finally found my career path.

I had my End Point Review yesterday, my observation was great... But I got a 'satisfactory' overall. I wasn't expecting it at all; the entire duration of my placement I have received praise for being a natural. I put in 100% effort; I would get to school every day at 7.30, not leave until 5.30, come home and work until 11 and sometimes midnight... I couldn't physically have worked any harder at this placement. My relationship with all the staff was brilliant; I went on school trips with year groups that weren't mine... I sought to observe subject leader's lessons... Particularly my behaviour management techniques and ability to control the class and build good relationships and set high standards quickly were praised. So while I felt that I still have lots to learn, I felt that I had done really well.

Many of my university peers were talking about their 'very good' End Point grades and I thought I would get the same. But I didn't. My personal tutor explained that the end point review was graded against the NQT guidelines and that since I wasn't at the level of a qualified teacher owing to opportunity or consistency (I was learning every day and therefore my techniques at the end were different when I started), I needed somewhere to aim for. That giving me a 'good' wouldn't benefit me as it wouldn't give me opportunity to progress next year

I just feel so gutted that my 100% best was only satisfactory when my peers are already very good. Will this affect my marks for Year 2? Should I seek to retake during the summer?

I just wonder if anyone else received a satisfactory in their year 2 and can hand me some encouragement that there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Is it right that second year students are graded against NQT standards when I came in having never taught a lesson independently before? That doesn't seem right to me...

Abi

2. abigailwheeler89

Hi everyone

I'm in my second year of my Primary ITE and have nearly completed my second placement. During my placement I have learnt so much, I've thoroughly enjoyed it and felt like I had finally found my career path.

I had my End Point Review yesterday, my observation was great... But I got a 'satisfactory' overall. I wasn't expecting it at all; the entire duration of my placement I have received praise for being a natural. I put in 100% effort; I would get to school every day at 7.30, not leave until 5.30, come home and work until 11 and sometimes midnight... I couldn't physically have worked any harder at this placement. My relationship with all the staff was brilliant; I went on school trips with year groups that weren't mine... I sought to observe subject leader's lessons... Particularly my behaviour management techniques and ability to control the class and build good relationships and set high standards quickly were praised. So while I felt that I still have lots to learn, I felt that I had done really well.

Many of my university peers were talking about their 'very good' End Point grades and I thought I would get the same. But I didn't. My personal tutor explained that the end point review was graded against the NQT guidelines and that since I wasn't at the level of a qualified teacher owing to opportunity or consistency (I was learning every day and therefore my techniques at the end were different when I started), I needed somewhere to aim for. That giving me a 'good' wouldn't benefit me as it wouldn't give me opportunity to progress next year

I just feel so gutted that my 100% best was only satisfactory when my peers are already very good. Will this affect my marks for Year 2? Should I seek to retake during the summer?

I just wonder if anyone else received a satisfactory in their year 2 and can hand me some encouragement that there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Is it right that second year students are graded against NQT standards when I came in having never taught a lesson independently before? That doesn't seem right to me...

Abi

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I'm a PGCE mentor, so what I say here might not be entirely correct, but
    No. The training standards are not the same, but not everyone seems very clear on this. A satisfactory trainee/NQT are not the same.
    Satisfactory does not mean bad despite what OfSTED *** say. Speak to your uni by all means but don't panic!
    I'll be honest - this worries me. Being a trainee teacher (and a qualified one!) is hard, but this seems excessive. As a UPS2 with 2 positions of responsibility, 4 A Level and 2 GCSE classes, a marking contract for GCSE and a book to write, I haven't needed to put this much work in, and that's with a 26/30 teaching load. I think you need to look at your workload and how you manage it because it will not be sustainable over time. You're probably more tired than you know, and that won't be helping you when you look at the grade.
    I wish you luck going forward.

4. abigailwheeler89

I'm very confused then as my examiner from uni said that reserve grades were against where I was compared to a qualifie teacher?

RE the work load, my day to day tasks were to evaluate every lesson against targets and Q standards, make assessments of 10 children in each lesson and analyse their progression, mark all the work from my lessons, revamping my plans and resources as I went along... I know that a lot of my time was spent making my own resources; I felt that doing this would put a real 'wow' into my lessons (the other year 4 teachers used these!). I wa satisfactory because I didn't crack the 'very good' until the last two weeks (therefore not consistent as its a learning experience?) and that I didn't get opportunity to put standards into practice (eg planning for a shook trip).

I feel so frustrated and disheartened that I'm apparently so far behind my peers at other schools when I put in as much of myself as I could. I'm so confused. I was being told that I was on my way to a 'very good' from early on, I felt so happy and confident and now I feel like a failure (I realise that a 'satisfactory' is not a fail, however, I never considered that trying my absolute hardest was only just about ok when I coasted through my GCSEs and A levels 6 years ago with A*s and As with no effort at all, it certainly does feel that way.)

5. Training providers normally use traininggrade descriptors, but they do not have to and may use the full descriptors if they wish. You need to talk to your tutor and ask for their help in interpreting the grading anbd what it means for you.
    James

6. As much as this has annoyed you, I would look at it in a positive light, i.e it takes a whole load of pressure off you! Can you imagine being graded outstanding during this early stage of your teacher training and having to maintain that until you finish? I only say that because you seem to be a very conscientious person who is already going beyond the expectations of a student teacher. At least with a satisfactory grade you can take a few pointers with you on your next placement and take your time working on them. Good luck :)

7. Hello

I understand your concern and personally think the reason given for your grade was a load of tosh! In my opinion, if you've reached a certain standard, then you should be graded at that standard rather than held back because it 'wouldn't be good for you' (I'm wary of people who make comments like this as in my experience it suggests that the person has ulterior motives for giving a particular grade. That said, I don't know you or the people supporting you, so I'm talking in general rather than specific terms here.).

I also understand how frustrating it is to really give something your all and then get frustrated when it doesn't quite turn out the way you want while others appear to achieve it easily (I was graded as satisfactory verging on good when I did my PGCE course while others in my tutor group were graded as good. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement!) but here are some things to remember which might help:

1. You're still in training so won't remain at this grade forever if you continue to do your best, so this review grade is the minimum grade that you will achieve when you finish it which is good as some teachers struggle to even achieve this, even when fully qualified and experienced.

2. Most NQTs are graded as satisfactory to begin with, a small group get graded as good and a rare 1 or 2 get graded as outstanding, so you're actually doing very well to be graded as satisfactory with the potential to be good or better later on.

3. People can lie! I bet that many of the people going on about what good grades they have haven't really!

4. As galling as it is, what's happened to you is a compliment in a way, as the person wouldn't bother to do what he/she did for 'your own good' if he/she didn't think you had the ability to be a very good teacher! If you were no good, he/she just wouldn't bother with you at all and watch you mess up big time!

By the way, I agree with the others on here, ease up on your workload before you make yourself burn out before your teaching career has even started! Real success is about wholeheartedly working to be the best version of you that you can be rather than striving for an impossible perfection!

HTH and good luck with the rest of your course!

MsB