1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Second wave in 2 weeks'

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by hhhh, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:58 PM.

1. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Saw this headline (didn't want to buy the paper, but I suppose I could read it online!)-I know it's the DM, BUT that was apparently always very get-teachers-back-it'll-be-ok, according to some posters on here.

So if even that paper is warning of a second wave in 2 weeks, what's happening about schools? Anyone been to any meetings with union reps so far this holiday?

install likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

I think it will be in areas and regions for a couple of years. It’s here for a while.

I can’t see another whole wide lockdown again though.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

According to the BBC, it is possible Europe is starting a second peak now and Boris mentioned the UK's could take off in a fortnight.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53579731
    This was a few days ago, so the main story has disappeared now.

Not really an issue for England's schools at the moment as we may be past the second peak by the time September arrives.
    There is a lot of work going on about schools being ready or safe, especially secondaries which haven't opened since March (apart from key worker children) and have an awful lot more children and staff moving about.

There are various meetings going on with union hierarchy and reps, but not all are relevant to all sectors. Many school reps are working with their members and SLT to try to ensure a safe reopening as well.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Does anyone know of a school that is checking to see if families have been abroad and have quarantined in readiness for school opening in Sept ?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

I wouldn't have thought so yet... who know what the rules will be in September?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

This was copied and pasted to a union FB group...much amusement and yet concern.

[​IMG]Sprite
    @sodamom23 You gon send your kid to school with the Paw Patrol mask and he gon come home with a Spider Man mask because he made a trade at lunch. Whole school gon be shut down the next day.
    4:37 am · 28 Jul 2020·Twitter for iPhone